Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pill bug invasion

Posted by mrhappy z8 - Austin, TX (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 20:07

The little buggers are everywhere. I think I have found at least a partial answer to some of my figs slow growth. While repotting a few plants this afternoon I noticed wads of the little figavores. They had wallowed out hollows where 15-20 would stay - eating the tender roots. Needless to say I could have a sale on freshly butchered free-range pill bugs about now. I must have scaped a couple of 100 out of the plants I repotted.

Any advice on how to kill them without killing the figs? I'd gladly use anything between a handgun and a nuke but I'd really like to keep my trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pill bug invasion

"between a handgun and a nuke"?
This one will make you happy too if you remember "If I had a hammer".
Use a tweezer and take one pill bug at a time from the fig roots, place it on an anvil and hit it hard with a hammer.

o

What growing medium are you using?

o

Right now my area, it is those June Bugs that are eating the leaves of some of my fig trees during the night. Those bugs can literally strip all of the leaves off of a fig tree just like a locust plague.

Dan

o

Get the granulated bug insecticide that is safe for gardens. Make sure it kills pill bugs (I think its Bug-Getta or something like that). I think Corys has one. I use it in the vegetable garden. The pill bugs are murder on my new veggies, melons and strawberries.

o

Diatomaceous Earth. It cuts them up bad and causes them to dry out. It's nice revenge and is plant/people/pet safe.

o

Dan
I spray a squirt of "Bug-Be-Gone" on individual June Bugs on a leave and in a minute or so they fall off like stone. I save 50% on spray because I always see them two by two piggybacking.

o

ottawan,

I only see those June bugs at night as they go back into the grass/soil during the day. After eating their fill on fig leaves....they assume the piggyback and have sex. Right now it is like one big bug orgy/party going on in my backyard!! The blackbirds in my area have caught on to this natural cycle and gather under my fig trees in the early morning to eat the bugs as they try to bury themselves. Right now is the only time I LOVE to see birds anywhere near my fig trees.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here