Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briana_2006

Pine Bark for Gritty Mix

briana_2006
13 years ago

Hello all -

I have been trying for some time to find a local source of pine bark for the gritty mix. The best I have found so far is reptile mix from a pet store (fir bark) but it is a little too big. It does yield some in the correct range.

I found the following on the Loews website:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_97822-66882-97822_0_?productId=1115223&Ntt=mulchers&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0_s%3FNtt%3Dmulchers%26page%3D2

(Product 97822)

Of course there is no size referece in the picture and no size informtion in the specification tab. I talked to someone at my local store and they of course didn't have the info and they don't carry it in the store. So I am curious if anyone has used this and found it works well for the gritty mix before I try to invest the time to see if they can bring it to my local store from another store.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a good source for the pine bark in the Saint Louis MO area??

Also, it seems I have seen mixed reviews on using a lawnmower to cut larger size pieces of mulch to the correct size. Does anyone know a good way using a mower or a model number of a small chipper/mulcher I can get from Loews/Home Depot etc for this job??

My first preference is to find a source to buy it from.

Thanks, Brian

Comments (2)

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Walmart here in FL it is in a purple bag, bark size is dime to nickel which has worked well for me 2cuft bag
    Sal

• leon_edmond
    13 years ago

Locally in Albuquerque, found Greensmix Garden Bark, Small Nuggets, at Walmart, which is about the size Sal described.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor