Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimla

Your suggestions for redoing my fig

jimla
12 years ago

I want to replace my BT with something hardier and better tasting. Its in the ground 12 years and wrapped each winter. For a first fig it has done OK. Taste has been good but have no comparison as to whats better other than what I read here. I moved it once two years ago to make room for a chicken coop. It was against a shed wall facing south. Now its about 15 feet in front of the shed wall.

I'd like to remove the BT at the end of this year to make room for a cold frame and replant now with a new fig closer to the shed wall for heat and winter wind protection. So...

What variety to get..Chicago Hardy, Celeste, other suggestion?

Where to get it in order to ensure its true to type?

Should I prep the planting hole in any way to max productivity? Its a silty sandy soil derived from shale. Does confining the roots force vigor? If so how to do?

Any other thoughts if you were to replant your favorite backyard fig?

How much do you think I could sell the out of ground dormant root ball for on Craigslist.

I don't want to just toss it. The root mass was about 5 feet across and 18 inches deep when moved last and it survived. COuld I split the mass into multiple 2 inch trunks and sell as individual plants?

Comment (1)