Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guys, should i keep this or throw it away?

Posted by westcoastgrower Nor Cal 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 21:01

I got a cutting from an italian winery in Napa Valley in november, its been 5 months and it has only grown about 1 inch and 1/2. should i wait longer or throw it away? it grew during january when it wan indoors. but nothing since then.

http://postimage.org/image/16hxos5pg/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guys, should i keep this or throw it away?

this is the mother tree:
http://postimage.org/image/16ncu73z8/

o

Doesn't look dead to me.
I would hold on to it. It should start to move sooner or later.

If you think that's bad? I have a Smith cutting in a 20oz. cup since last year. Hasn't grown at all, Still with the same couple 2in. green leaves on it.

Rafed

o

Although it's hard to tell by the picture, it seems to be infected with FMV by the color of the leaves (light and dark areas)and yellowed leaves. Perhaps it could be suffering from lack of nutrients, causing the light colored leaves. If it has FMV it may take some time to start growing and if you lucky enough it will send out a side branch that will take off and grow normal. Wish you luck, and I would let it grow.
"gene"

o

it has light green/yellow leaves because it was growing inside my house.

o

I would love to know which winery you got this at. Have you been able to try figs off of this tree?

Thanks,
-Dave

o

I got the cutting from turnbull winery in the napa valley, i didnt try the figs but i think its a black mission.
i found a pic on the web, the mother tree with dark figs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/empressm/5101520988/sizes/l/in/set-72157625089718307/

o

My guess is it needs indirect sun and a bit more watering.

o

I have cuttings not only stopped growing but dropped their leaves too. I was going to throw them away but a friend suggested that they may need humidity. I covered each 4" pot with bigger one and got them away from the sun. To my surprise they came a live and produced new branches and leaves. I don't know if Covering your Cutting will work but it would not hurt to try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here