Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best figs

Posted by ltbee 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 21:19

I have had a Celeste fig for a couple of yeas and we love it. We are looking to get 2 or 3 more fig trees and wanted to know what varieties people recommend. We live in zone 7. My brother lives in CA and has a humongous tree that produces green figs and they are the sweetest best figs I have ever had... since he bought the property with the trees, it's impossible to know which type of fig it is. What figs would you recommend????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best figs

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 23:52

Get cuttings from your brothers fig and root them. You don't need the name to grow the same figs.

o

Rooting is really easy to do. I've had mine rooting for 3 weeks and they're leafing out. I have to baby them for another 3 and harden them off outside gradually in their new bigger pots. I've never grown figs before and was sent 10 different varieties from a friend who thought I should try.
Good luck getting dormant cuttings at this time.
Noogy

o

Rooting is a good idea...but I would also suggest doing an air layering. It's easy and has the potential to provide you with a good sized plant right off the bat instead of waiting for a cutting to become established.

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 5, 13 at 11:09

I see you're in zone 7. I am in zone 9/10, and the varieties which do well in my microclimate (and thus, which tend to taste best when grown here) are semicoastal-adapted varieties that don't need high heat to ripen in summertime: Black Mission, Black Jack (purple with red/amber interiors), Peter's Honey (green/yellow with amber interior), Violette de Bordeaux (purple with red interior), and Lattarulla (green/yellow with pale amber interior).

That being said, I planted a variety 3 years ago which is supposed to need high heat, but it did very well anyway: Panache Tiger, a striped exterior with a red interior. It produced good fruits in all heat levels, but last year when we had exceptionally high temps, it was better than ever. OTOH, that same high heat wilted my Black Jack tree and its fruit was terrible.

Perhaps you could be more specific about what type of climate/temps you have, to get better recommendations.

o

just take your brothers as suggested above. Many people grow no name figs.

o

If your brother lives in CA, what part? if he lives in Souther CA, he may have a Smyrna type fig or Calimyrna type which needs a tiny wasp from a Caprifig for the fig to ripen. If you don't know, take some cuttings and try them. You will know for sure in 3-4 years. For me in east, TN , zone 7, Sals, Hardy Chicago, Celeste, Red & Green Italian, Patrick Super Giant all have been good producers. They are common figs, ( meaning no wasp needed). These same varieties do well in other parts of zone 7 also. CH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here