Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UC Davis Cuttings

Posted by ayyubaddeen FL (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 21:37

Hi, Does UC Davis still take orders for cuttings and if so does anyone know the price?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UC Davis Cuttings

It's too late for this year.

The deadline for UC Davis cuttings is December 1. Get your order in NOW for next year. You need a Fed EX number (free), but you need a credit card to link it to, so UC Davis can ship your cuttings at no cost to them.

It's a bargain! You pay for shipping, but sticks don't weigh too much. I guess it depends on how many varieties you order. They sent me 3-5 of each, except for the one I was dying to have (Violet de Bordeaux). They only sent one sorry little cutting of that, but I cut it in 3 parts, and 2 are now showing leaves. They honored my entire order of 13 varieties of grape vines, 2 of olives, 2 of pomegranates, and 3 of figs aka Ficus Carica.

They go to a lot of effort to send you these FREE cuttings. They cut nice straight cuttings, then they bundle them, label them, put them in plastic with damp paper towels, put them in a shipping box, print out the label, and send them to YOU! They do all that hard work for nothing. I am happy to pay for shipping! No complaints!! My big fear is that they will catch on, and start charging us :-(

I'm not a fig tree collector (just a fig eater), so 3 varieties was plenty for me. I picked the 3 best tasting according to an article on their site, and I suppose that's the reason I only got one of sweet little Violet de Bordeaux! Demand!!

I have already started my order for next year. My vineyard has most of my attention, so my order is just wine grape vines this year, and mostly root stock at that. I won't compete with you for figs!
Suzi

o

I am a fig researcher and really appreciate the opportunity of growing and studying some of Condit's lesser known figs in my yard. His 143-36 cultivar is a really nice one for my rainy climate. I would not have any problem whatsoever paying market value for their cuttings. I wish it were as easy to secure Dr. O'Rourke's lesser known fig cultivars. Those are much harder to find......

Dan

o

Can someone post the link or instructions on how to get into this program? UCD has tons of great info but I cant find any info on the cuttings.

Thx

o

Espressogeek,
click the link provided below, once there under the fig picture click "catalog of available figs" link and you will see a list of fig types.
Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=12146

o

If you want other fruit tree cuttings as well as figs, you can find them at this link. Be sure to click the order form link, and the page tells you where to attach your order form by email.

I would not wait until Dec. 1 to get my order in. That is the LAST day, and it's First Come, First Served. Last year I got my order in in June, and all was well! Received all but one item, and it's first on my list for this year.

Good luck!
Suzi

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis FREE cuttings for fruit trees

o

Thanks for the help everyone! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here