Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Some Suggestions for Fig Varieties Good for my Area?

bonechickchris
14 years ago

Hello!~

My name is Christy. I have been a GW member for a few years. I am a regular on other forums here, but have always had an interest in this forum since I LOVE figs and have a couple trees of my own. SO I thought I would finally introduce myself here, in hopes to learn more about figs and to get to know the forum better!

I am Italian, and my grandma had a fig tree when I was a little girl. Eating figs from my grandma's tree started the beginning of my love for figs.

I have a couple trees of my own. I have always wanted to plant more, but space was restricted. I have moved to a nicer property, so now I have the room to put fig trees all over! LOL!

I live in Forked River, which is in Ocean County , New Jersey. Most of NJ is zone 6, However,since I am located somewhat near the shore, I have also been considered zone 7A. The figs I have now I cover, but my neighbor has a nice fig tree and she does not do anything to it at all for the winter.

I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for fig varieties that would be hardy for my area. I don't mind needing to protect in the winter, but it would be great to have some trees that I did not need to protect once they got old enough. WOuld be great if I could find some varities that could stay in containers over the winter too.

Also, if anyone could reccomend where I could find trees and/or cuttings, that would be great too! I am NOT doing this to get freebies, I am fully prepared to purchase what ever I need to, so please know that.

I have been looking through Encanto in California. The only problem is is that it costs almost as much in shipping as it does for the tree! So I was hoping that there may be someone in my area that I could purchase from. Also, by purchasing close to me, I would know that they would be varieties that work well for my area.

SO if anyone could help with suggesting varieties, that would be great! And if anyone knows where I could purchase them, that would be even better!

I really have been waiting such a long time to start a fig collection, and now I finally can! I can't wait to start and to share my progress with all of you!

Christy

Comments (12)

• steve_nj8
    14 years ago

Christy,

Welcome. I have a few varieties available if you want to send me an email. You might also want to check-in with some of the other regulars who are in NJ.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just sent you an email Steve! :)

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Steve for your help! Can anyone else in NJ help me out with suggestions? Thank you!!!!

• lhendri479
    14 years ago

Christy - you may be in luck here. herman2 is in south Jersey - zone 6B. I believe he is one of the knowledgeable people about figs.

You can find his posting by going up to the little search box and put put in herman2 and you will be able to read all of his posting

Linda

• loslunasfarms
    14 years ago

Atreano is once of my favorites, even here in zone 7.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks you Linda! I heard much about him also. I have a friend who belongs to this forum who told me a month or so ago about herman. I emailed him , but never received an answer back, that was a month ago. Maybe he did not get it, I know GW mail is not too good sometimes, but I do not want to bother him again incase he did. I have read a lot of his past posts though which has helped out a bit.

Yes Loslunasfarms! I have heard good things about Atreano also. BUt I can't find it from anyone. The place in CA is out of them. I can't seem to get any info on where to get fig trees or cuttings anywhere close :( Atreano is still one on top of my list to get.

Thank you guys for all your help so far! Still welcome any more suggestions!

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Christy,
    go to this link
    http://encantofarms.com/home.html
    he has scion available i have ordered scion in past from him and he has atreano still listed. He also has very nice fig forum as well that many of us regularly go to called Figs4Fun.
    Good luck
    Martin

• dan1465_z7nj
    14 years ago

Christy, I live just outside of Atlantic City and grow Celeste without protect. I only wrapped my Fig the first winter and haven't lost even a branch since. It's been 3 or 4 years now. If you don't hook up with one of the locals to get your Fig, consider the link below to Johnsons nursery down south. I stumbled upon their website and gave them a shot. I was VERY pleased with the Celeste Fig they sent me. I was so happy I even left them great feedback on the Garden Watchdog Website. The feed back I left was under the name dan1465 or something similar. Check it out. I'd order from them again in a heartbeat but, they don't have anything else I want right now. Dan

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/1027/

http://www.johnsonnursery.com/FRUIT%20PAGES/FIGS.htm

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HI MArtin!

Actually Encanto was the first place I ever checked out! The figs 4 fun site is amazing! Unfortunately, he is out of the Atreano in cuttings and trees :(
    I guess the Atreano really is as good as everyone says it is because it is gone everywhere I go! Thanks so much though for helping me!!!!

HI Dan!

Celeste is the one tree I do have now. I have had it for a while now. I have always covered mine. Maybe I should try it uncovered next year. I guess I am just always so afraid to try it.
    Thanks for the site! I am going ot go check out the nursery right now! Thank you Dan!

BTW, I just want everyone to know that Herman did email me back. HE never got my email. I know GW is not good with email sometimes. Anyway, I just wanted everyone to know that he was very helpful to me and gave me several suggestions for varieties to try that are good for my area!
    Thank you Herman!

Thanks everyone who has shared info with me so far. Still trying to locate places to purchase though!

• loslunasfarms
    14 years ago

Bonechickchris,

Please send me an email.

• goodground
    14 years ago

Why not ask your neighbor for a cutting?
    The tree has already been tested in your zone.
    Free shipping and free wood! :)

Yesterday I stopped by the house of this Portuguese man in Florham Park who has many fig trees. His figs are much BIGGER and juicier than my Hardy Celeste. He cut right into the dirt and gave me wood with some roots attached. I was surprised how he just butchered his trees, but he has so many trees that I assumed he knew what he was doing. He gave me a white and dark variety. When and if they take, I will post pics to see if they could be identified.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HI goodground!

Thanks for the info! Actually, my neighbor has a Celeste fig, which just so happens to be the same variety of fig that my tree is also!
    Unfortunately, noone around here grows figs. In all my years here, I only saw one other person with some potted figs outside. They moved a while ago. SO my neighborhood is fig-less :(

WOw, that is so neat that someone was so nice to just share his figs with you, just like that! When I lived at my other house, I used to have people come by all the time to ask for apples, pears, and peaches off my trees. ANd I always gave them to whoever asked. The house I live I live in now, I have not been in too long, so the fruit trees I did plant are still young. I have to start all over again with the fruit trees.
    However, I am pretty sure that this house will be my home for years to come, that is why I am so happy to get a nice fig collection started. The sooner I do it, the sooner I can enjoy them, you know?

Good luck with your new figs, goodground! Let me know how they turn out! Christy