Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pollination for fig trees

Posted by saralee123 middle tennessee (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 22:02

I bought some figs trees 4 years ago. According to the info tag on each one I needed to have 2 different varieties for pollination. I bought Brown Turkey and Celeste figs. Some of the trees died during the winter but had lost there tags so I don't know which ones I need to replace.

The next year I some of both varieties to make sure I had what I needed for pollination. OK, so this keeps going on and now I have about 10 fig trees and I don't know what kind they are. So the question is Can I tell them apart to know if I have two different kinds for pollination? Or is it even important to have different kinds? I'm afraid I'm a complete novice when it comes to figs. I just know I like to eat them and I need a source that I don't have to buy. Thank you for your help and patience.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pollination for fig trees

Personally I don't think that you have to have different kinds.

My old tree is the only fig tree in may area and it produces great.

It might do better with cross pollination. But I don't think it's necessary.

o

Thanks for the info. I still have them potted in 5 gallon buckets so I can bring them in each year. Since I read the other post telling me how to plant outside and keep them alive through the winter I will be planting them out side soon. I appreciate your help. Maybe if they produce something this year (some of them are 5 years old) I will be able to tell what kind each is by the fruit. I guess well find out. Thanks again.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 13:29

Common figs such as the ones you (and the rest of us) are growing, do no not require cross pollination.

"The tiny flowers of the fig are out of sight, clustered inside the green "fruits", technically a synconium. Pollinating insects gain access to the flowers through an opening at the apex of the synconium. In the case of the common fig the flowers are all female and need no pollination. There are 3 other types, the caprifig which has male and female flowers requiring visits by a tiny wasp, Blastophaga grossorum; the Smyrna fig, needing cross-pollination by caprifigs in order to develop normally; and the San Pedro fig which is intermediate, its first crop independent like the common fig, its second crop dependent on pollination."

Here is some required reading for fig growers:
Fig Fruit Facts
From Twigs to Figs

Just grow whatever common figs that you like. Hope that gives you one less thing to worry about! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here