Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ripe Fig in early April

Posted by budbackeast 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 22:38

Ripe fig in early April!

Not as sweet as later ones, but kinda cool getting a black fig in early April.
Anybody else getting them this early?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ripe Fig in early April

nice, whats the size of that one?

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 0:50

What kind of fig is that?

noss

o

Is that a main crop fig from last year that survived through the winter? Some of my trees get those and they ripen very early. What zone are you? Is the fig in a container or in the ground?

Joe

o

This is an almost ripe black fig tree, originally a cutting from a tree in Greece. Variety unknown. This is one of my seven trees. This tree was dug up and thrown away last AUGUST and sat out in the sun, roots exposed, for three days. I planted it in my yard and watered it one time and then just ignored it. In December, it showed a new leaf at the very top. It survived all that.

This is an early April photo, with one almost ripe fig and a second fig shown just to the right of it, still green. These are new figs. Look closely and you will also see the tiny, shriveled up fig of last year still clinging somehow.

Curious that a tree so abused is the first to bear edible fruit in the spring. I now have a second tree with four figs in a cluster which should ripen in about two more weeks. Not sure which varieties they are, nor even which color the next figs will be. But I've eaten the pictured early fig (April 13th, my fiftieth birthday) and it was - good enough!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here