Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you do to this fig?

Posted by Venom21 none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 22:49

should i prune this guy? looking for some recommendations to get this thing started nicely. thanks all!

oh by the way its 2.5 feet tall. i plan on keeping it potted as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you do to this fig?

• Posted by bedtime 6a Southern Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 9:56

Looks much the same as mine. You might want to keep an eye on my thread well for ideas.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0407250031163.html?4

o

anyone out there? should i give it a prune?

o

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 15:53

Me personally, I would. It will encourage branching and make it look fuller. I would cut about 6"-8" from soil line on both branch, but that's just me. Or count 6 leaf nodes up the branch from the soil line and cut above the 6th leaf node because new branch will grow from there. Then cut off the tip from every new branch after the 6th leaf but make sure the branch is maturing(brown) and not green like new growth.

o

Why prune? Are you looking to reduce the size or shape the tree? What would be the reason for pruning? It looks like it is doing ok as it is. You can prune if you have a plan for how you want the shape to be. Bu that plant is small, so pruning will probably reduce the amount of fruit you get from it this year.

Joe

o

repost whoops

This post was edited by Venom21 on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:45

o

well i want to keep it a reasonable size and want to maximize its fruit production in the future. so wouldnt a bushier plant be better for that?

im not even sure this thing will put out any fruit this year, i just got it so we shall see.

o

Sounds like a plan Venom21. Good luck with the tree.

Joe

o

You need to cut off the top 16" of EACH twig if you want the plant to branch out. The four - 8" cuttings can then be propagated. Next year you'll have a nice bush with more branches to produce figs.

o

Leave it alone it looks good. I have similar one Chicago hardy it produced several branches on its own and became a full tree. You don't need any fruit of it this year. If it produces little figs thin it let the tree build itself

o

That is about what mine looked like. After several posts I decided to but it back to about 18" from the ground. Now I have little leaves starting from each node all along the "trunk" and hoping they will become branches. Are you going to put it in a larger pot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here