Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wintering

Posted by angela3131 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 22:53

Just thought I'd share my wintering experience with others in the northeast.
Two winters ago, I wintered my 6ft fig tree (wrapped up)in the non-heated garage. I took a clipping from the tree and wintered it in my office window. The clipping grew like a weed. The big tree when pulled out of the garage was all moldy. All the branches were dead, but the suckers shot up and grew pretty well (but no figs on either).

Last winter, I wintered both the clipping and the big tree in the non-heated garage but didn't cover either. Pulled out the clipping the first week of March and put it in my window at work. It has doubled in size since then. Pulled out the big tree the last week of March and placed it near the chimney of my house. It is growing slower than the clipping but coming back pretty well.

I was quite surprised that both survived the winter without being wrapped up in the cold garage. Hopefully I'll get a lot of figs this year!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wintering

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 12:31

Angela - wrapping a tree doesn't keep it warmer unless while in the wrapping of it you devised a strategy to capture heat from an extraneous source. IOW - if you put a cup of water inside an insulated cooler and put the cooler in the freezer, eventually the water in the cup will be the same temp as the rest of the food ion the freezer. However, if you were to plug in a curling iron and seal it in the cooler w/the cup of water, the water wouldn't freeze because there was an extraneous heat source and the cooler trapped it.

The fungal issue was due to a high moisture content and lack of air circulation. The only benefit wrapping has is to reduce the effects of dessication, which is about nil in a garage.

Since tissue dies as a result of exposure to cold lower than the tree is genetically programmed to tolerate, and wrapping doesn't affect how cold the tissue gets - only how long it takes to get there, it's ineffective as an insulator.

Better, would be to take a large box and upturn it over your tree and poke a few holes in it for circulation. This will trap extraneous heat conducting through and radiating from the floor and should keep the top part of your tree (and roots) from killing low temperatures.

I hope you get a ton of figs this year, too! Good luck.

Al

o

How cold does you unheated garage get?

o

I was surprised that the tree grew back.
The garage is pretty cold but shares a wall with a heated room. I will try the flipped box this winter. Hopefully that will work. If not one of the guys at my work promised to store it in his office (which he uses only to grow/winter his plants).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here