Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violette de Bordeaux 1st leaves browning on edges

Posted by yawiney none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 23:28

Anyone know what to do about this or what it is? My Vdb started putting out it's 1st leaves. I was happy about that untill i noticed that the small leaves are browning on the edges. Dry crumbly brown. 1st year but this one came in a 10 gallon pot. My others were in sleeves.
Also should i pull off the fruits the 1st year as on other trees?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violette de Bordeaux 1st leaves browning on edges

Starting at the leaf tip and edges working its way in is a classic sign of over fertilization.

o

That is what it looks like. I'm also seeing it on my brown turkey that has been in for a season and did fine last year. I did mulch it with the same compost that went into the mix for the raised bed figs. Should i use clear-x or something to wash out the compost in the ground? The only thing too rich in the mix could be the compost.

o

No need to buy anything expensive. Just water them really heavily a couple of times. Figs are tough so they should pull through. Likely they will prefer vegetative growth rather than fruiting though. More than likely you are going to lose most of this years breba crop.

o

Should i pull them off? Even with hardly any leaf growth there is a few figs starting on my desert king, Peter's honey has no leaves and 2 fruits starting, and some on the vdb with the browning leaf.

o

Unless the trees are very small I would leave them on.

o

That's what i wanted to hear! Thanks thisisme.

o

thisisme,

Do you get quality brebas from your VdB? Or are they pretty worthless in comparison to the main crop?

o

cis4elk the brebas on VDB's are good quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here