Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gritslad

If you could only have 5 types of figs

gritslad
13 years ago

what would they be and if you have a why (as opposed to just wanting them), tell us. I've started my orchard with a planted in the wrong place Celeste, a brand new LSU purple, and I seem to want everything I see but know that is impractical, hence my question

Comments (15)

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Grislad,

it would depend a lot on what climate i could have those 5 types of figs.

Martin

• gritslad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How about if you lived in Zone 8?

• dieseler
    13 years ago

In climate 8 i would trial as i have yet to taste

Coll de Dama Negra
    Grise Olivette
    Noire De Caromb
    Black Madeira
    Ischia Black

of course there are others also i would like to try to see how they do.
    Panache
    Ronde
    Nero
    Negretta
    perhaps more as room would allow.
    Martin
    Martin

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

With my relatively limited fig experience, I know of only two I would have for sure--Black Mission and Kadota.

and there are also two that would never be on my list--white Genoa and California brown turkey.

After this season, I could let you know whether or not my Violette De Bordeaux and Panache Tiger would also be on that list. From all that I've read here, they probably will be.

• debbies_cockatiels_2
    13 years ago

Hi Grislad, I'm a newbe. I live in zone 6 I think my Peters Honey fig was the best thing I have ever tasted and it's green so you have a better chance of getting it since the birds or critters can't tell when it's ripe.I am buying mostly green, yellow or white figs so I get to eat them... I LOVE to EAT FIGS !!!!
    Debbie

• paully22
    13 years ago

My preference would be:

Hollier
    Marseillies VS
    Desert King
    Longue d'Aout
    Ronde de Bordeaux or Gino

• ayyubaddeen
    13 years ago

I seen a post on here before of an Iraqi Fig, not sure of the type it is but it look great so that would be on my list. I would like any variety from Palestine. Black mission because I like the dried ones i've tried in the stores. I think one is called tiger stripe, it is yellow or green with stripes, because the look is cool. Lastly I would like to grow marseilles, just hear so much about it.

• iammarcus
    13 years ago

Are there any US sources for Coll de Dama or does it have to be imported? I can find most of the other outstanding figs but not this one. I currently have the Italian Honey Fig and plan on adding the Negronne this spring.
    Dan

• maryhawkins99
    13 years ago

celeste, celeste, celeste, celeste, celeste

runners up, in order I'd plant:

brown turkey
    hardy chicago
    negrone
    marseillies
    lsu purple

• gorgi
    13 years ago

In USDA Zone 8, you are (almost) in fig-heaven!
    (any beneficial fig-wasps there?)

ANY fig should grow with no winter protection there (bless you!).
    Choose closed eye'd ones if you have any excessive rain
    or bugs in your area.

You may also go the big (sized) fruiting figs...

Which ones are both most productive-and-sweet?

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I'm in a hot zone 9 so results may vary. I lost the tags to all my early planted figs except for a few. As a result most of the ones producing I have no names for.

Of my named varieties these are my two favorites.

Violette De Bordeaux
    Black Mission

I have most of the ones mentioned by others above but they are only rooted cuttings so I can't really comment.

iammarcus, Col de Dame cuttings are available from the UC Davis National Germplasm site. I got mine from the yearly Encanto Farms sale. Its supposed to be one of the best but mine has not fruited yet so I can't really attest to it.

• marius67
    13 years ago

...sal's corleone,gino fig,marseille vs black,viollette de bordeaux and...143-36(what a great fig!).

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Smith
    Smith
    Smith
    Smith
    and Smith.
    ---------------
    Celeste you already have
    LSU Purple you already have
    Violette De Bordeaux.....excellent tasting and super productive. One of the best tasting figs. One of the best for all growing areas.
    White Triana......consistently produces super sweet figs, productive, and long season. Does not drop figs and tolerates heavy rains and is bug resistant. Cold tolerant Absolutely excellent fruiting characteristics.

Any one of these......Hardy Chicago, Gino's, Dark Portuguese, Marseilles VS, GM #11, or Sal's (El). They are all good figs.

LSU Gold if you like them big, juicy, and sweet. It produces two crops per season. Does well in colder areas.

Hollier or amber pulp Golden Celeste....if you like them sweet.

or Black Mission if you have the room for a tree that wants to grow LARGE. Black Mission figs are in a class of their own. I love them.

Dan

• iammarcus
    13 years ago

Thanks thisisme
    I will be sure to contact U C Davis as soon as I put together my shopping list and a persuasive case to arouse their interest. I hope to find out how large an order they will accept.
    Dan

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

Dottano Nero
    Valle Negra
    Negretta
    Gentile
    Paradiso
    Ciao,
    Giuseppe

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build