Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eatmoreyeah

What are these insects and are they harmful to my figs?

eatmoreyeah
12 years ago

Lately I've noticed what looks like little white moths on my fig trees. They leave a white powder, mostly on the branches and a few of the figs.

Can someone help identify what I'm dealing with? If pictures are needed I can get some tomorrow. If not, are they harmful? What could they do to my crop and what measures sure I make to combat them if need be?

I wanted to add that my figs are a few weeks away from harvesting and they just showed up about 10-14 days ago. The fruit, leaves and branches look very healthy as well. I just don't want to lose any fruit because they're by far my favorite.

Thanks for your time.

Charles

Comment (1)

• rafed
    12 years ago

Charles,

From what you are describing and I'm only taking a wild guess that you are dealing with Mealy Bugs.
    Are they fuzzy?

Get a Q-tip swab and dip it in alcohol and dabb the bug with it and see if it turns from White to dark in color ( red, brown, etc etc. ).

If there are too many to dabb one at a time then get a spray bottle and fill anywhere from 10% to 25% alcohol and the rest with water and spray the intire tree.
    Wipe the pot all around if it is in the pots.

Do this a couple time in a week and they should be gone or put under control.

I have never heard from anyone as for these bugs being harmful but they are feasting on your plants.

Once again, I am only guessing they are Mealy Bugs just by what you are saying.

Pictures will be much more helpful. Could be something else.

Good luck,
    Rafed

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor