Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these insects and are they harmful to my figs?

Posted by eatmoreyeah LA (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 0:56

Lately I've noticed what looks like little white moths on my fig trees. They leave a white powder, mostly on the branches and a few of the figs.

Can someone help identify what I'm dealing with? If pictures are needed I can get some tomorrow. If not, are they harmful? What could they do to my crop and what measures sure I make to combat them if need be?

I wanted to add that my figs are a few weeks away from harvesting and they just showed up about 10-14 days ago. The fruit, leaves and branches look very healthy as well. I just don't want to lose any fruit because they're by far my favorite.

Thanks for your time.

Charles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these insects and are they harmful to my figs?

Charles,

From what you are describing and I'm only taking a wild guess that you are dealing with Mealy Bugs.
Are they fuzzy?

Get a Q-tip swab and dip it in alcohol and dabb the bug with it and see if it turns from White to dark in color ( red, brown, etc etc. ).

If there are too many to dabb one at a time then get a spray bottle and fill anywhere from 10% to 25% alcohol and the rest with water and spray the intire tree.
Wipe the pot all around if it is in the pots.

Do this a couple time in a week and they should be gone or put under control.

I have never heard from anyone as for these bugs being harmful but they are feasting on your plants.

Once again, I am only guessing they are Mealy Bugs just by what you are saying.

Pictures will be much more helpful. Could be something else.

Good luck,
Rafed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here