Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Belleclare Celeste Fig Trees

Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 3:31

'Ello Luvs, :)

Can anyone tell me about a Celeste fig that goes by the name of, Belleclare Celeste? I did a google search and came up with nothing. I did a search on F4F and GW and came up empty there, as well.

If anyone has any photos of this fig and tree, would you please post them for me to see? That would be great.

Thanks,

noss

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Belleclare Celeste Fig Trees

I suspect it is the one that was number 2 on the old Belleclare Nursery Fig list...

BELLECLARE NURSERY (Dipaola) Plainveiw, NY.
(copy of 2006 fig-list just before closing shop)

FIG VARIETIES

(a) INDICATES CLASS 111 COMMON (b) INDICATES CLASS 11 SAN-PEDRO
(c) INDICATES CLASS IV CAPRI FIG (d) INDiCATES CLASS 111 SMYRNA

1. PETITE NEGRI (a) (DWARF) large purple-black, dark red center (2 crops)
2. CELESTE (a) medium, purple-brown, dark red center, very sweet, sugary
3. ROYAL VINEYARD (a) large coppery-brown, pear-shaped, dark amber center (2 crops)

I don't have it and haven't seen it. Jon might have it, he has a bunch of different Celestes.

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Tue, May 14, 13 at 23:16

Thanks, Scott. It's an interesting little tree and is having a good time growing well. I'm looking forward to seeing how she turns out.

noss

o

Celeste (not Belleclare, just regular) does well here as long as it doesn't dry out. When it is good, it is very good. I imagine the DiPaola brothers sold a good one, so you should have a little charmer. I'm don't think they mentioned it in the video of a visit to their nursery by Martha Stewart.

http://www.marthastewart.com/907952/fabulous-figs

o

I have two Celeste trees among my collections best producer and sweet taste with aroma. needs very little care just water and fertilizer and protect from freeze. I think that variety is an Italian or the island of Malta in the Mediterranean.

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Thu, May 16, 13 at 16:10

Celestes are, generally, just huge weeds that don't like to be hot and dry. I love the flavor of a ripe Celeste.

Treehugger, do you mean that the Celeste is from Malta, or Italy? The variety is widely known as Malta. I don't know where the name, Celeste originated and I don't recall anyone saying anything about it. I would guess it came from the same kind of thing as why people call them sugar fig and all the other names they go by.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here