Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caylajones5

My fig tree is about 1 and 1/2 ft. tall. When will it fruit?

caylajones5
11 years ago

My fig tree from Lowes is only 1 and 1/2 ft tall but it already has one fig on it. Will this fig grow to full size or will it fall off? Like I said the tree is small but I hope I get that fig off of it this year. I dont know how old it is. Thanks again :)

Comments (8)

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi Cayla,

What variety of fig tree is yours?

Thanks,

noss

• caylajones5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a common Brown Turkey fig :)

• noss
    11 years ago

I should have asked if your fig tree is in a pot, or in the ground.

18" isn't very tall. Is the little trunk a sturdy little one, or is it very thin?

It might be better to remove the fig and let the tree grow this season to gain strenght and more size. I know it's hard not to let the fig stay on, but you might be happier in the long run if you wait until next year to let figs grow on the tree.

I think it was BT figs that I first tasted when I was very little. They were very good, too. Good luck with your new tree. I'm assuming it's a new tree. Is it? If not then definitely remove the fig from it and concentrate on feeding and growing the tree this season.

noss

• caylajones5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you :) Its little because its in a pot and the nurserymen pruned it back to keep it small. It seemed a bit harsh at the time but he said it would be all the better for it. Very sturdy little tree. I suppose giving the roots time would be best for it. Thank you :D

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi Cayla,

That's good the nurseryman pruned it back because that will make it branch out rather than stay one little trunk, usually. Figs don't read the books. :)

I was having trouble with several of my little potted trees and I cut them halfway back at the start of the season and they then decided to put out more bushiness and have set figs for the first time. They're 3 years old. Could be they would have done so anyway, but they look a lot fuller now and there are figlets on them.

Yes, growing the little tree to give it a good foundation would be my top priority.

Meanwhile--Walk, or drive around your area and look for fig trees. What zone are you in?/where do you live? It might make a difference where you live because if you live in a cold area, then you might not see trees until their owners bring them out when it's warm enough, or dig up/unwrap their trees. It's fun to search out fig trees.

I wish you the best with your little tree.

Happy figging,

noss

• barnhardt9999
    11 years ago

I put in a Celeste last fall. It has a lone fig and the tree is barely a foot tall. I think I'm going to let one ripen for the novelty but if I see a second fig I'll have have to bring out the scissors.

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Pruning will stimulate fruit production in many cases.

• timmy2green
    11 years ago

I found fertilizer plays a big part. Last year I tried using fert with high K like superphosphate mixed in with my usual regiment and all of my figs were putting out figlets, even the little 6 inch twigs I got from a nursery in qt pots. I did a lot of pinching. Just a thought.
    Timmy