Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to kill a fig tree?

Posted by dickscovered Sth France (My Page) on
Thu, May 18, 06 at 6:32

This probably sounds like heresy to some on this forum, but I need to kill a wild fig tree that is growing in an awkward spot? Has anyone killed one intentionally?

Thanks in advance

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to kill a fig tree?

David:

You are right, most here couldn't kill a fig. But I once lived near the worthless wild kind and I'm not a fig lover unless they're dried! Anyway, I'd try a very heavy dose of Roundup applied to the foliage when the tree is growing rapidly. After the leaves fall off, cut the top down. Wait if you can to see if the tree sprouts back from the ground. If so wait until it gets a foot or two tall and spray again. That will likely do the trick. If there is no sensitive vegetation nearby, adding some 2,4D to the Roundup would help.

The Fruitnut

o

• Posted by bjs496 z9 SE Houston (My Page) on
    Thu, May 18, 06 at 18:19

FIRST THE DA VINCI CODE, NOW THIS... IS NOTHING SACRED ANYMORE???

LOL. I would think you could use a shovel and cut a 18-24 inch(60cm if my math is correct) diameter ring around the tree about 12-16 inches (40cm) deep, and pull it out while beating the soil off the roots to fill your hole. I've begun digging a tree out of the ground to move back into a pot, so I'm taking more of the root mass with it, but I am using this method.

~james

o

Yeah, I asked this question last year when a bird planted a tree in an inconvenient spot in the backyard - the fruit is huge, dry and insipid though. After all the shrieks and fainting, someone recommended wrapping tightly some wire around the trunk or remove the bark and cambium all the way around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here