Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herman2_gw

Ficus Palmata and its Hybrids

herman2_gw
17 years ago

I have the need to expand the conversation about this subjiect and maybe

someone from India with good botanical knolidge might come on and explain more information about this valuable fig.

So Far i know Three Ficus Palmata Hybrids

1.Hamma Caprifig wich is a hybrid of Ficus palmata/carica,leaf entire,truncate.

2.ALMA fig ,Hybrid of Vernino(carica) and Hamma(Palmata/Carica),leafe three lobed,truncate

3.DFIC 23,Palmata/carica hybrid,leafe entire.

It is known that all this hybrids are imune to Mosaic virus ,so prevalent in California,and so distructive to such cultivars such as BLACK Ischia ,wich is a superb tasting fig otherwise.

From My own experience this Black ischia is still 6 inches tall after 2 years due to mosaic.

Also it is said that both Hamma and Alma are very good tasting ,for Alma i can say for sure having tasted its fruits in my garden last year.

Also Ficus Palmata wich is a Black fig when mature is also good tasting.

IF ANYBODY HAS MORE INFORMATIONS OR KNOW ABOUT MORE FIG CULTIVARS WITH PALMATA PARENTAGE PLEASE POST.

{{gwi:766209}}

Comments (14)

• eukofios
    17 years ago

Herman -
    I'm not from India, but so far no one has answered your post!

from nafex page, petite negri may be sport of alma (others give other options). so if alma is part palmata, the PN would be as well.

I dont think it is free of mosaic, however.

below is purdue web site about pamata - they seem to like it in India - maybe you already know this web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: purdue ficus palmata

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tanks eukofios:I did not know this site but it sound very interesting.
    I do have DFIC 23,and wonder if it will bear fruits without the fig wasp!!!!!!.
    I think Petite Negri,at least the one from PARKS,does not have nothing to do with ALMA,But there is at least another variant of PEtite negri,and Maybe that another one is related to Alma.!!!!!!!

• gene_washdc
    17 years ago

Herman, do you know whether the dfic 23 is any more sensitive to cold and freezing than the regular ficus carica? I'm wondering whether it could be planted in the ground here in my area and overwinter.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Eugene :I do not know but i will test it this winter as i have two of them and i will put one in the Garage and leave one outside to see what happen.If it does not fruit i will not know if it needs the wasp but next year i will find out.You would think UCDAVIS keep only the Hybrids that are usefull to general public without any tricks as the wasp and if it does ucdavis should say so,when they offer it for distribution.But for now is a mistery.I will find out and report as soon as i know.Regards

• gene_washdc
    17 years ago

Herman, just came across this fairly recent report which is an interesting read in its own right -- but on the very last page there's a picture of a leaf and ripe fruit from DFIC 0023. Still doesn't answer the question of whether it needs to be caprified, but still a nice looking fig.

Here is a link that might be useful: Screening Diverse Fig Cultivars for Commercial Potential

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Eugene,Very interesting new site.
    My DFIC23 has a small green fruit with a red eye.Lets hope it mature so i can taste it.Regards

• gorgi
    17 years ago

Thanks Gene,
    In that same document, I also noticed that UCD is now
    taking caprification into some consideration/identification
    (hurray for UCD!). Us up-north, we have no fig wasps, and
    it is an EXTREMELY important issue!
    George (NJ).

• ashok_ncal
    17 years ago

Last weekend I attended a fig tasting/tour held at the USDA fig germplasm grove at the Wolfskill Experimental Orchard. (The cuttings that many people on this forum order from the USDA originate from this orchard.)

We got to taste a number of fig cultivars, including the DFIC 23 Carica X Palmata cross mentioned above. It was quite good, although most of the fruits we sampled were quite good. (All of the fruits there, including the common figs, get caprified: so all of them are probably a little larger, sweeter, and more highly colored than they would be in a home garden. Unless you planted your own caprifigs, of course.)

Anyway, I asked Ed Stover whether the Carica X Palmata cross would require caprification to set fruit. Dr. Stover said that they don't know for sure yet (as everything gets caprified), but that he believed that it probably WOULD need caprification to set fruit. (We didn't go into detail on whatever technical reasons he had for that opinion.)

The tree itself was beautiful: rather larger than the other figs in the grove, and with a distinctive, umbrella-like form. The leaves were also noticeably different from the leaves of the surrounding trees.

For a gardener with the requisite space, it would be well worth growing as an ornamental even if it never fruited. (Dr. Stover said the plant had been nicknamed the "Hacienda Tree" among the staff, as they could imagine having such a spreading and stately tree shading a patio or entrance area at the home of a large country estate.)

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks ashok_ncal:I am the original poster of this post.This answer my quest,Thanks again.

• fignut
    15 years ago

Herman, I ordered DFIC 23 from Davis and was searching for more information about it, and this thread came up.
    Can you say for sure yet if it will ripen figs without caprification?

• gorgi
    15 years ago

DFIC23 is one of my death-row list figs here in NJ,
    one more year to prove its vigorous/fruitless self...

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I allready discarded mine,as i concluded,it needs caprification,to bare fruits.
    Best Regards

• jgkonnully
    13 years ago

I have a fig sapling at my home in Hyderabad, India. The Leaves are Heart Shaped single without lobes. Does it belong to Hamma Caprifig variety.

• lampo_gw
    10 years ago

I have these questions..
    Hope someone may help me to find the good answers

Does DFIC023 accept and grow a graft of a healthy caducous (carica) scion?

Will the new fig branch resulting from that graft be exempt of the FMV ?

In a given area will the DFIC23 hybrid be receptive to pollination when approx. all other caducous figs are ?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!