Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theman7676

figs cuttings / plants

theman7676
12 years ago

new to this forum and growing figs

would love to have any variety of cuttings or little plants any of you would care to share and help me start up...i am located in ontario, canada

i tried rooting once few weeks ago and i found it very hard...had some mold (first with the ziplock bag method and later i try few directly in soil...which i am still ongoing with these efforts but they sure dont look too good at this stage so i am not very encouraged!)

also a question - the one fig tree i do have, i brought back into the house in january, after 2 month in the garage (i was told to bring it back). in febuary/march, it re grow all its leafs and even had some fruit on it which was wonderful. however i guess we were away twice for few days and it got cooler in the house and the tree lost all ifs leafs, fruit etc.....now for well over a month, it almost looks dead....one sunny day i put it outside for few hours thinking this could help but now and some of the old tips of the branches...are almost blue/green color,with some mold looks like....and the others just dried up and look dead/dry

any idea what should i do....

thank you all....

Comments (6)

• thebadseed
    12 years ago

I read all this business about rooting on this forum before attempting it myself and expected to fail. My neighbor pruned her very large fig tree and my husband brought me a huge branch. I took cuttings from all over and stuck them in everything from water to dirt..in pots, in bags...

You know what worked? Sticking them in coffee mugs with water in them. I think success on that was 100% vs 0% on everything else. The cup must be opaque. Cuttings from the tip of the branch don't take. You need a piece about the width of your little finger and about 6 inches long with 2 leaves and . I did this on my dining room table which has many windows but does not face east or west (so never gets sun blasted).

• theman7676
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you so much for that info
    i will sure try that next time around cause it almost seems hopeless

do you know - if i have a fresh cutting from a tree, do i need to place it in the fridge for couple of weeks so that it goes dormant???

• massimo
    12 years ago

Hi theman7676 where in Ontario are you. I live in Toronto and i could help you out.

• theman7676
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hey massimo. thank you so much
    i am some 90 mins east in prince edward county

would love any help, advice and/or your experiences and resources

took my few cuttings or what is left of them and place them in a glass as was suggested(few got some what moldy and all of them lost any life and got all dry in the top part which was previously green...and none of my cuttings have any leafs on)

• theman7676
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Massimo - i see you are also into citrus's
    do you grow them in a pot as well or are there any varieties that can be grown outdoor in onatrio?
    i would love to have some lemons but never knew we can do them in our location....

• massimo
    12 years ago

Hey theman7676 i just use promix potting and seed soil. I use no rooting stuff at all i find that it doesnt work. What i do with my cuttings is i fill a cup with warm water and put the cuttings to soak for about 30mins. I soak only the part that is going in the soil then, i get large clear plastic cups you can buy them at the dollar store for cheap. I mist the promix potting soil first fill the cups and put the cuttings in because i misted the soil first i dont give them water after. Then i put the cuttings in a large plastic storage bin that you can pick up at home depot put the cutting in their put the lid on it and thats it. I do get mold too some times so i take the lid off the bin to air it out for a few hours then i put the lid back on. Cuttings need lots of humidity and i mean lots until the have nice roots. Oh and keep the in a place where its warm but not hot. All my lemon trees are in pots. My email address is massimo3667@hotmail.com feel free to email me with any questions.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County