Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariel5_gw

fig leaf usage and recipe

ariel5
16 years ago

Hi friends

On my caprifig trees there are now thousands of nice fresh green leaves and I wondered about the possible usage of these

Does any one here know how to boil? steam? preserve? pickle ? stuff these leaves

Ariel

Comments (21)

• bonsaist
    16 years ago

I've never heard of using fig leaves, but I know that Grape leaves are excellent stuffed with rice.

Bass

• kkfromnj
    16 years ago

Came across these,

-----------------
    In the 3rd century B.C., fig leaves, thrion, were used as wrapping material. In the same way as grape leaves are used today, they were preserved in salt to reduce their bitter elements, so that tasty morsels could be wrapped up in them and eaten. The fig leaf became an important symbol of the loss of Paradise, its use betraying to God the Father how Adam and Eve had fallen from grace: "And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons." (Gen. 3:7.) Artists could not avoid using the fig leaf when portraying this theme, and as a consequence Adam and Eve were never seen without hiding their modesty in this way.
    http://www.greekcuisine.com/cuisine/Greek_Cooking/More_Resources/figs.htm

-------------------------------
    You probably do not think about the leaves of the fig tree as one of fig's edible parts. But in some cultures, fig leaves are a common part of the menu, and for good reason. The leaves of the fig have repeatedly been shown to have antidiabetic properties and can actually reduce the amount of insulin needed by persons with diabetes who require insulin injections. In one study, a liquid extract made from fig leaves was simply added to the breakfast of insulin-dependent diabetic subjects in order to produce this insulin-lowering effect.
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=24

--------------------------------
    Aphrodisiacs: Cooking for Pleasure - Figs
    Break open a fig and eat it in front of your girlfriend  see if she finds it erotic. TheyÂre supposed to have a look of  ahem  female sexual organs!
    http://www.sapphiccentral.com/this-month/aphrodisiacs.aspx

• bjs496
    16 years ago

Well, I am not usually so inclined to mess around with my insulin injections since a small amount has a significant impact. I might, however try a fig leaf tea and see how it goes.

Last week while in Houston, I had a conversation with a friend of a friend who indicated her grandfather brought several cuttings from Poland when the family fled during WWII. She told me she use to eat the figs before they were ripe. She ended up developing a very significant allergy to latex. She felt like the milky sap from the unripe figs contributed to her allergies. I'm not sure how accurate this is. I have heard people who are allergic to latex are not suppose to eat certain foods, figs among them.

I have always thought that a fig split in half from stem to eye resembled the female anatomy. My first significant exposure to figs was when I was 12 years old when my interest in the fairer sex also kicked into high gear. Perhaps, this is why I have such a fondness to them even today.

Thank you for the links.

~james

• kkfromnj
    16 years ago

Don't you just love to eat them?

• bjs496
    16 years ago

I was going to ask which one you're talking about... however, I'll just answer "yes" and leave it there.

• kkfromnj
    16 years ago

>>bjs496 I'll just answer "yes" and leave it there.

Smart move :)

• chills71
    16 years ago

I've read that the latex can be used as a renin to produce cheese. I also recall hearing that some cultures use fig-sticks as skewers as the sap can have a tenderizing effect.

~Chills

• organic_ileana
    15 years ago

My mother, now 95, and always an experimenter, has a fig tree, and learned from a Sicilian friend that the leaves were used for tea there, though the friend had never tasted it. My mother dried leaves, and sent me some. I don't normally like any herb teas, and waited a while to try this one. To my surprise, it's so delicious, in a quiet and gentle way, that I am looking forward to drying the leaves of my young Hardy Chicago to have my own supply. Try it!

• loslunasfarms
    15 years ago

I have a friend who used the latex from a green cutting on a facial melanoma. He applied the milky latex on it and he claims its gone now. Very interesting.

• sojay
    15 years ago

My friends in South of France always decorate a large tray with fig leaves on top of which they place various cheeses for the obligatory cheese course (with or without figs). When I occasionally do it here in the US, it brings me back to the light and smells and tastes of Provence immediately...

• mycamper
    15 years ago

I've been looking for fig leaf recipes and can't find any. The fig tea sounds good, but I don't know how to make it. My husband is a diabetic and the information about fig leaves lowering insulin sounds good, but I can't find any information on how to prepare the leaves and how it works for a diabetic. Any information would be appreciated.

• graceleng
    14 years ago

I saw the post by "mycamper", actually I've been waiting for the answer from some fig leaf tea expert, because my mother is diabetic. so far no more update yet ;-(

Does anyone know where and how to buy fig leaf tea?

Thanks in advance for the information!

• figalicious
    14 years ago

Just a quick search on Yahoo brought this up:

Fig leaf tea helps support proper insulin response.

Researchers in Spain have shown that fig leaf (ficus carica) tea can help maintain proper insulin levels.

It can easily be made using 2 teaspoons of dried cut leaves. Pour 1 cup of boiling water over the leaves, cover, and let the brew sit for 10 to 15 minutes before drinking. Drink 1 cup each morning at breakfast. Dried fig leaves can usually be purchased at your local health food store.

Consult with your doctor - if you're currently taking medications, before use.
    2 years ago

http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/Legacy/c/blood_sugar_health_recs.aspx

• ingevald
    14 years ago

I found a paper that I think is describing the study that was conducted in Spain. It is titled "Hypoglycemic Action of an Oral Fig-Leaf Decoction in Type-1 Diabetic Patients" The link listed below will take you to the abstract (this is a pay article) - very interesting. This is a very scientific paper, but it does appear that the fig leaf tea does have an affect and is worth further study.

Ingevald

Here is a link that might be useful: Hypoglycemic action of an oral fig-leaf decoction, etc

• graceleng
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the information. I've been searching for fig leaves too, didn't find in any store around, but I saw WholeFood is selling fig trees, maybe I'll just bought a tree and let it produce more leaves with its growing, then make our own tea for my mom by following figalicious's instruction, which is very clear and detail. Both the links given by figalicious and ingevald are very helpful, just like an eye opener to me. I'll study them and update you later with how my mom is doing.

Thank you again and best regards!

Grace

• gwarrington
    14 years ago

the chez panisse cafe cookbook has a recipe for King salmon wrapped in fig leaves, either grilled or roasted, but any lean fish would work. The leaves keep the fish moist and can be a nice presentation, but you don't eat the leaves. The following article from the LA times has several ideas:
    http://articles.latimes.com/2008/aug/06/food/fo-leaves6

Gloria

Here is a link that might be useful: fig leaf wraps

• figchic
    13 years ago

You can purchase fresh fig leaves at From the Farm.com

The actual farm is my sister in laws (not the website). I stumbled across this thread searching for fig leaf tea info. From what I understand so far you simply dry the leaf/leaves and steep in boiling water in a tea infuser or tea ball.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: From the Farm

• flora2
    12 years ago

I know this is an old posting, but I am also interested in how to preserve the leaves, Can one freeze them, do we need to blanch them? I'd love to retain the arona of the leaves so I am looking for a way before I lose them all. Thanks

• l_james
    12 years ago

If I were going to save them for tea, I would spread them out on news paper to dry for two weeks. After they dry put them in a paper bag and store in a warm dry place for another couple of months till they are really dry. Then crush them up and put them in a container. Always be on the watch for mold. If they mold throw them out.

• lukeott
    12 years ago

if your worried about mold, maybe use a dehydrater for faster drying.

• HU-644527438
    5 years ago

We have Fig trees and use the leaves to make a delicious tea. i Prefer coffeee over tea...that was until I tasted this. We take about 5 nice leaves and cover them with water in a pot. Get it good and hot and seep for about 20 minutes. It’s great tasting on its own. However I love sweetness so I add a little bit of raw honey. It’s known to have great health benefits as well. I’m trying to find if someone has frozen the leaves or dried them for winter tea.