Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meganom

Did my young fig tree survive the winter?

meganom
15 years ago

I live in Fort Worth, Texas. I bought a fig tree last year and planted it in a sunny location in my backyard that receives morning sun. It was about 3 feet tall when I bought it, it produced 3 figs last fall, but did not seem to grow any taller or thicker at all. So I thought it may take a year or two to establish itself. I have been checking on it for the last month or so, while my garden and the rest of my plants are doing well, the little fig tree shows no sign of life - no buds, nothing. Have I managed to kill it over the winter by not wrapping it or covering it, or not given it the TLC that it needed?

Please help!

Comments (8)

• gorgi
    15 years ago

> planted it in a sunny location - good
    > the little fig tree shows no sign of life - bad
    I am not a Texan, and not familiar with the local climate.
    Protected figs here up-north NJ, have leaved out.
    Thinking hard, was it winter (top) killed? What was the
    min winter temp in your area? Was the the fig protected?
    I consider 20*F as a safe fig min temp. Others (maybe
    depending on specific variety), may think 15, or maybe 10.

On the bright side, winter killed figs do tend to come back
    from the root base ... sooo, hang on.

• gorgi
    15 years ago

Forgot to mention that YOUNG fig trees are more sensitive
    to cold winter temperatures and figs tend to become more
    temp-resilient after about ~3+ years of age.

• espo8
    15 years ago

George Did you get my e-mail?

Anthony

• maryhawkins99
    15 years ago

i live in dallas. all the figs i planted last year have had leaves for over a month.

• svanessa
    15 years ago

Meganom,

Scratch the limb(s) with your fingernail to see if there is any green beneath the bark. If so be patient. If not, IÂd still wait as it may come back from the roots as they are oft to do.

I thought one of my figs was doomed too but I kept watering it and just last week a new branch peaked thru the soil. It now has 1 healthy-looking leaf.

What variety of fig do you have?

Sue

• User
    15 years ago

Sometimes wrong here. My figs went unprotected, and have been
    in leaf for a month (also NJ)--despite a ridiculous chilly spring. I would increase watering--I bet it never really rooted in. How's the soil. Should also be mulched.

• stevec
    15 years ago

For young tree's this can be common. I have a very small second year tree propagated last fall, that wintered in my garage, and has not yet leafed out this year. While I brought it in for the winter, it was hit with a frost that hurt the tips and buds prior to bringing it in. Over the last 6 weeks (when it should have leafed) the tree has progressively lost its branches (gone from green when scratched to brown.) Finally today, I saw a small green bud at the soil line. If the bud makes it ... this will be the new tree. The old tree will be pruned once it dies completely. As long as the roots live ... the tree lives.

-Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of tree

• THEVICSTER
    9 years ago

I LIVE IN FORT WORTH AND MY MISSION FIG TREE (3 YRS OLD) DIED OVER THE COLD WINTER.. I DID COVER IT WITH LEAVES AND WHEN I WENT TO LOOK AT IT THE BARK HAD SPLIT ALL UP AND DOWN AND ON THE SHOOTS OF THE TREE... MAYBE I COVERED IT UP TOO GOOD AND IT GOT TO HOT?? MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE WATERED IT MORE?? ONLY WATERED IT ONCE A MONTH BECAUSE I WAS TOLD THE MAIN REASON FIG TREE'S DIE IS DUE TO OVERWATERING IN THE WINTERS?? GO FIGURE!!