Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A recent visit to Bill's Fig Farm in Pennsylvania

Posted by terry-upstate-ny 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 9:26

My DH and I traveled out of our way to visit Bill's Fig Farm in Flemington, PA a couple of weeks ago
We bought a couple of 1.5 year old potted trees while there to add to our collection. He has a vast yard of huge potted fig trees of many varieties, and many varieties for sale in smaller pots.
He gave us a brief tour, including a little greenhouse where he grows his cuttings. The fig trees in the picture are over 6 ft tall.
This is the second time we have been there. Last year we bought an Atreano fig tree that was two years old, we got some great figs from that tree last year,among the best I have ever tasted, I used an organic mix, including compost and ammendments to repot with last year.
We are growing all our fig trees in pots, since we are in zone 5.
Happy Fig tree growing everyone!
Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A recent visit to Bill's Fig Farm in Pennsylvania

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the 1.5 year old potted trees cost?

I am getting close to retirement and trying to think of some things to make a little extra money when I retire, for fun money. And something that I would enjoy, like starting figs in pots!

I gave away about 20 small fig trees to my co-workers this year when thinning out the big tree. They had rooted where the bottom limbs touched the ground.

They are so easy to propagate. I could start hundreds of new trees from that one big one and a lot more from my smaller ones.

o

The smallest pots he had were $30 plus tax each with year and a half fig trees. His farm is in New Jersey not PA. Sorry about the mix up of states

o

The smallest pots he had were $30 plus tax each with year and a half fig trees. His farm is in New Jersey not PA. Sorry about the mix up of states

o

o

I stopped buying trees from the online nurseries because I lost my face in them. I travel to fig farms there few in VA few in New jersey few in PA and delaware. I buy most of my fig trees from these farms. Also I am impressed by HD nursery supplier I just bought today two celeste fig trees 2 years old 5 feet tall with two main branches under 40 dollars with one year written warranty. Now I have 45 producing fig trees and 30 young ones All in 9 varieties. I am running out of space.

o

Treehugger I also prefer to buy my fig trees at a nursery that I can visit so I can see exactly what I am getting. I have bought some nice trees online at ebay and Amazon, but one had transplant shock after I potted it. Checking reviews of the vendor is helpful but doesn't always tell the whole story.
Congratulations on having such a wonderful fig tree collection. I don't have as many, but collect more every year, it is a hobby that I really love!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here