Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Santa Cruz and Dark Portuguese Breba

dieseler
13 years ago

Santa Cruz Dark has about 6 breba on it and did not lose any so far , this plant woke up a little later than my other plants. I propagated this plant March of 2009 from UcDavis scion its sibling did not make it out of dormancy. I curious to see what this san pedro type will do in my climate in the future seasons .

Dark Portuguese has 1 breba left on the one with longer neck. Some fell off earlier last month as expected.

Dark Portuguese

{{gwi:776192}}

Santa Cruz Dark

{{gwi:776194}}

Santa Cruz Dark

{{gwi:776197}}

Martin

Comments (11)

• loslunasfarms
    13 years ago

I had the last frost take out most of my breba.

• ejp3
    13 years ago

Cecil, your last picture brings with it something I dont understand. The fig on the left looks like a keeper but the one on the right looks like many of mine that just fall off. They are pretty easy to tell by squeezing. I dont know why some fall off and others (much fewer) ripen? Even with desert king, which is a breba crop fig this happens. As always nice picturres n

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Ejp,
    that one your talking about shriveled up and will fall soon. one on the bottom branch that looks good, this eve has a slight yellow tinge to it and may go the wayside also. This plant woke up late and the weather here has been decent but plant is still young so i give some seasons to see what it does. Time will tell with this san pedro type cultivar, i have no problem after 3-4 full growing seasons to be rid of it , i have had only several breba from my plants total in all the seasons growing them.
    They dont like the climate here and i concentrate on main crop figs, i did not know this was a san pedro type when i ordered scion 2 seasons back but i give it a chance but i have my doubts about this one.
    Speaking of main crop they are just emerging now on mnay plants as April has been the warmest in 34 years, maybe summer will be a nice and warm too. ; )
    Best Health
    Martin

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

You're so lucky. My figs are just growing vigorously but no breda. I really want to try some fig this year.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Ch3rri,
    i grow in containers which helps me get a little head start as on sunny warm days i can wheel them out onto blacktop driveway which heats up nice. This season i did so 1 week earlier than last.But last season here the crop was not so abudant as summer was one of the cooler ones on record. Hopefully this summer is a warmer one .
    You mention you really want to try some figs this year , how old are your plants and what type are they.
    Martin

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I'm not sure how old are my trees. I got them from Bass. I have the brooklyn dark, ronde de bordeaux, hardy chicago, dark portuguese, and smith. The brooklyn dark and ronde de bordeaux is about 2-3 ft tall now. These two are the bigger one compared to the other three. I think my smith got stunted because it's not growing and there is no leave left.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you got them this year you may get a few if any im thinking to ripen. I also replaced a ronde this year its healthy but i will concentrate it to grow for next seasons figs. I grow them in containers .
    Dark port breba fell and several recently fell off the
    santa cruz dark.
    Martin

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Very nice Martin

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I planted all mine in pots too since I don't know how to protect them for winter. Is it better to train it into a tree or a brush? For brush I know you get more fig, but then the tree look so nice. I already have a lot of tropical fruit trees so I'm limited with space too. How do we train it into a trees?

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ch3rri,
    bush form can give many more figs and is security because of more than 1 main branch in colder zones. I like the way tree form looks thats just me.
    Anyways you just pick a healthy main stem to grow and when its the height you want cut the top you will get more side branches and you shape litle by little to your desire. By end of first year a normal fig plant will reach the height between 3 to 6 feet your choice how tall you want it, following year it will branch out the sides even more and you keep shaping.
    Some types grow slow and take more time. Some are not so straight and when i put into bigger pot i tilt them some so they are more or less straight on top. Main reason i favor scion that are bud tipped as its much eaisier from the begining when it first roots.
    Some i have staked because to thin but keep main a little more straight first year because we can get windy here by me.
    Martin

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Thanks Martin. I will get one to form into a tree. Your fig trees look really nice and I want mine to be similar. Right now I have to stake all of my fig branches.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County