Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig propagations and direct sunlight

Posted by twiggythefiggy (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 10:30

Hi there,

I've tried propagating figs for the first time this year by using hard wood cuttings and have had quite a bit of success in getting a high proportion of them to come into leaf.

I'm wondering whether or not I should place them in direct sunlight now that they are in leaf or should they remain in the shade for the first year.

Also a few of them are displaying a worrying sort of brown mottling of the leaves. Is this cause for concern?

Many thanks for everyone's help,

Twiggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig propagations and direct sunlight (small warning)

I think you can do direct sunlight fine, if you introduce it slowly - hour a day, then 2 hrs a day, etc. I just had a little episode with 2 trees in containers. They were indoors and I had them by an east facing window. They put on a bit of growth and plenty of leaves - this was during the winter. I moved them outside into direct light, and the leaves werent hardened off, got scalded and fell off. of the two, one has started to releaf. The second one has a few leafs still clinging on, but they dont look a nice healthy green. This one has not put out any new leafs as of yet, and I'm hoping the shock wasnt too great to the tree. Both of these were established trees in containers, ie, not freshly rooted cuttings. Time will tell...

o
RE: Fig propagations and direct sunlight

Hi Twiggythefiggy,
it usually takes a few weeks to assimilate to the sun.
Some folks learn the hard way by putting in sun and they may seem fine until a few days past then all of a sun the burn spots appear and they will eventually all fall or the leaves wilt within a hour or so when first put in sun and stress the plant.
Its best to keep in shade then little by little each day put in semi shade with part sun for an hour or two then back in shade, try to do this each day eventually you can put in sun longer and then all the time.
What i like to do is give them morning sun for a couple hours im an early riser then back in shade as they progress i give morning sun and late evening sun and eventual full sun.
You will be able to tell when there ready for sun but if you see leaves wilt put back in shade as soon as possible either way and by morning the leaves will be erect again from overnight.
Martin

o
RE: Fig propagations and direct sunlight

I keep my newly potted fig twigs in the shade for several weeks on the north side of my house and in the shade under one of my carports which has no sides to it. I do not want to expose them to any heavy rains or hose watering's during this time frame. Afterwards, I will move them to under my large pine trees where the sunlight is greatly reduced/filtered. Again, I pay attention to the weather and try to keep them out of any heavy rains for another couple of weeks. At that point I will expose them to stronger direct sunlight and observe the plants for any signs of wilting and move them back under the pine trees if needed. It takes me approximately 6 to 8 weeks to harden off my new fig starts to both full sunlight and heavy watering's.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here