Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig trees to plant this Fall?

Posted by justjohn 8 AR/LA Stateline (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 10:38

I'm trying to figure out which variety to plant in my orchard and am considering celeste, brown turkey and lsu. What about another, any help would be appreciated. I have room for 3 or 4. Have heard of a variety named something like "mission". Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig trees to plant this Fall?

• Posted by noss Zone 9 Lafayette (My Page) on
    Mon, May 16, 11 at 19:31

Hi justjohn,

You mean you don't have any fig trees as of yet?

What kind of figs do you like to eat?

noss

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10 Sunset zone 24 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 17, 11 at 10:02

Black Mission is a great fig here out west, good for fresh eating and drying. It's the fig planted by the padres as they estalished missions in California. I don't know how it would grow in your area, but out here it is good in both coastal and inland climates. I'd say give it a try if you like black/purple figs.

Celeste is the one I more commonly hear about in your area, so we know it's tried and true. Brown Turkey is the one that has people who either love it or hate it--from my experience, it is bland, but that could be because I've only tried the California Brown Turkeys grown locally. There are other strains of BT that have a much better reputation for flavor. Definitely avoid the Cal. BTs.

o

I definitely would get a Violette de Bordeaux and a Celeste. Hardy Chicago will do well for you too and will have a different taste than Celeste and Hardy Chicago. For a LSU fig.....I would suggest a LSU Gold. This is a large fig and will taste different than the other figs mentioned. These varieties can be found at many retail sources. Black Mission is a very good tasting fig. However, it tends to be a bit cold tender. If you get one, grow it in a bush form and not allow it to grow in a tree form. This will allow it to better handle colder temperatures.

You can substitute Hardy Chicago for a Sal's El, or Marseilles vs., or Dark Portuguese, or Gino's fig. These varieties will come up for sale on eBay and are sold by forum members.

Dan
Semper Fi-cus

o

Both Noss and Dan recommended some awesome cultivars. I have those mentioned. Hardy Chicago, Sal's El, Marseilles Black VS, Dark Portuguese, and Gino's fig are some awesome sweet black figs. If you want a green fig that is very robust and flat out good, you can't go wrong with Atreano and many LSU varieties. Good luck on your choice. Dennis

o

Good advice, I really appreciate it. All varieties mentioned sound interesting and worth looking into. I really want a Black Mission, now...chicago, bordeaux, lsu gold, celeste, will need to make some room and maybe drop brown turkey. Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here