Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjohn_gw

Fig trees to plant this Fall?

justjohn
12 years ago

I'm trying to figure out which variety to plant in my orchard and am considering celeste, brown turkey and lsu. What about another, any help would be appreciated. I have room for 3 or 4. Have heard of a variety named something like "mission". Any thoughts?

Comments (5)

• noss
    12 years ago

Hi justjohn,

You mean you don't have any fig trees as of yet?

What kind of figs do you like to eat?

noss

• girlbug2
    12 years ago

Black Mission is a great fig here out west, good for fresh eating and drying. It's the fig planted by the padres as they estalished missions in California. I don't know how it would grow in your area, but out here it is good in both coastal and inland climates. I'd say give it a try if you like black/purple figs.

Celeste is the one I more commonly hear about in your area, so we know it's tried and true. Brown Turkey is the one that has people who either love it or hate it--from my experience, it is bland, but that could be because I've only tried the California Brown Turkeys grown locally. There are other strains of BT that have a much better reputation for flavor. Definitely avoid the Cal. BTs.

• danab_z9_la
    12 years ago

I definitely would get a Violette de Bordeaux and a Celeste. Hardy Chicago will do well for you too and will have a different taste than Celeste and Hardy Chicago. For a LSU fig.....I would suggest a LSU Gold. This is a large fig and will taste different than the other figs mentioned. These varieties can be found at many retail sources. Black Mission is a very good tasting fig. However, it tends to be a bit cold tender. If you get one, grow it in a bush form and not allow it to grow in a tree form. This will allow it to better handle colder temperatures.

You can substitute Hardy Chicago for a Sal's El, or Marseilles vs., or Dark Portuguese, or Gino's fig. These varieties will come up for sale on eBay and are sold by forum members.

Dan
    Semper Fi-cus

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    12 years ago

Both Noss and Dan recommended some awesome cultivars. I have those mentioned. Hardy Chicago, Sal's El, Marseilles Black VS, Dark Portuguese, and Gino's fig are some awesome sweet black figs. If you want a green fig that is very robust and flat out good, you can't go wrong with Atreano and many LSU varieties. Good luck on your choice. Dennis

• justjohn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good advice, I really appreciate it. All varieties mentioned sound interesting and worth looking into. I really want a Black Mission, now...chicago, bordeaux, lsu gold, celeste, will need to make some room and maybe drop brown turkey. Thanks everyone!