Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauraeli_

Rescued Weeping Fig

lauraeli_
9 years ago

I rescued a weeping fig from my parents house. Their house is a jungle, which, these days, is attributed to the tough nature of the plants rather than the care given.

Anyway, I have had my eye on this particular plant since they got it 2 or 3 years ago. It is a weeping fig that was gifted to them. These days it is relegated to the corner with little light and minimal care. Still in the original growers pot. So I decided to adopt it. If i get a call in for kidnapping, I suppose I will return it.

Well, the thing is looking rather sad. Yellowing leaves that should be shiny and dark green. The infestation of scales was expected, coming from there. I removed old and yellowing leaves, and pruned off old branches. I sprayed it down with isecticidal soap (neem oil) then repotted it from its 8 inch grower pot into a 12 inch, and gave it a shower.

Question is, when can I put it with my other plants? The desirable spots all have plants already. White flag (peace lily/spathiphylum), philodendron, cordyline, snake plant, african violet, you name it.

Is neem oil a very effective solution for scale? How can I know when they are all dead and gone? With a small-leaf ficus I can hardly go through and remove them all by hand.

Here is how it looks now.