Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maximum height of Celeste?

Posted by bobbi_p z8/9 Cypress, TX (My Page) on
Tue, May 19, 09 at 11:06

Hello! Didn't know there was a fig forum until I Googled for images of fig trees!

I'm NW of Houston just at the zone 8/9 area. I've purchased a Celeste fig tree based on Master Gardener recommendations and am pondering it's placement in my yard.

I've never thought figs were very pretty specimens in the landscape and intend to keep mine pruned into tree form. Before I plant it, I was wondering what the largest Celeste tree you've ever seen was?

My husband and I saw this tree in Marrakech:
Big Fig In Marrakech

And, I want to make sure I allow the proper amount of space if it has the genetic potential of reaching this height!

Thanks,
Bobbi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maximum height of Celeste?

Bobbi,

I waited to see if someone in your zone would reply since none of my fig trees will ever reach their growth potential (north east). My guess is your celeste could reach as tall as 50 feet in your zone. The link below may help.

Good Luck!
Vinnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig - Ficus carica

o

Biggest Celeste I have seen is about 9ft tall. I have seen other fig trees that grew to that size in my zone. I know of a guy here who does prunning using the chainsaw on his mini fig orchard of about 200 trees. If trees are too big, he just cut it down & they re-sprout. I have also seen pictures of fig trees with large spreading canopy in this forum.

o

Does anyone on the forum know of some giant 30-50ft tall fig trees in the United States? It would be interesting to see just where Ficus carica does best in this land of ours.....

o

• Posted by bjs496 9/Houston 7/NJ (My Page) on
    Thu, May 21, 09 at 1:04

In the Clear Lake area, I know of at least two trees which are prolly in the 40-50' tall range. Also, Maas Nursery in Seabrook (probably the birth place of 'Banana') has a 'Celeste' tree which is about 20' tall.

One of the places that took it in the shorts from IKE is San Leon (about 10 miles south of Seabrook and 15 miles SE of Clear Lake). This is kind of on the south side of the area which use to be heavily planted with fig orchards in the early 1900s. Many of the older/larger fig trees in the area may have perished with the storm.

~james

o

Check out the pictures of some big ole Celeste fig trees in this 1919 Ag Department Bulletin 1031. It also is a very good read.......

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulletin on Fig Growing in the South

o

Below is a photo of two large Mission fig trees in California from one of the old Condit books. The arrow points to a man at the base of the tree. What is your guess as to the height of the trees? My best estimate is 80+ feet. The bottom photo is an unrelated photo on the same page of a fig tree with unusual nodal swellings.

Photobucket

o

I saw a fig tree last year near Hot Springs AR in a botanical park. It had a plaque on it that said "Texas Everbearing Fig". It was about 25-30 ft tall. I have never seen one that big that far north before. Probably zone 7b? Picture shows maybe 2/3rds of the trunk.

o

• Posted by bobbi_p z8/9 Cypress, TX (My Page) on
    Fri, May 22, 09 at 16:18

Thanks so much for the great info guys. I'll proceed and plant thinking it has the potential to get very large. I doubt I'll still be living here to see it, but perhaps the people who follow us will appreciate not having to cut it off the house constantly!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here