Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to figs. Best fig for espalier?

Posted by Belafonte Oklahoma 7ish (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 11:42

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and eager to learn about these awesome trees. I just recently bought 3 'Celeste' fig trees to try my hand at training an espalier for my mom. I am beginning to wonder if I have selected the right cultivar since most of the information on the net says that the 'Celeste' only produces fruit on the previous years growth. I would think that this would mean that keeping the espalier to form would require me to continually cut off the new growth each year thus limiting my crop. Is this true? If so, what other varieties would be more suited for hard training? I think it would need to be a variety that produces on the new growth that emits from the base structure each new year. Would 'Chicago Hardy' fit this job or will I be ok with the 'Celeste'? Thanks everyone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to figs. Best fig for espalier?

there is someone doing that on the figs4fun forum.

o
RE: New to figs. Best fig for espalier?

It looks like the 'Celeste' will be just fine. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here