Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texascockatoos

Please post pictures of your mature fig trees.

texascockatoos
13 years ago

While I am waiting for my little fig trees to get bigger, I find myself searching the web for pictures of mature trees.

Please post pictures of your mature fig trees so all of us figaholic's can drool over your trees.

Thanks,

Cathy

Comments (27)

• fredfig
    13 years ago

Cathy... I have photo of my 10 foot fig tree. BUT.. I have no idea how to attach it to this message. Any help ??

• texascockatoos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For anyone wondering a shortcut to get pictures on the forum, go to www.Tinypic.com
    Click on the Browse button to find the picture you want them to host.
    Leave the other boxes and the "default" dropdown alone.
    Click the Upload Now button.
    Copy and paste the text you'll find in the "HTML For Websites" box into your post here at the forum.
    Repeat, as needed, for all of your pictures.

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

OK so here is one I call Fig Row they are only 1-2 yrs old but a sample of what is to come.

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

Okay NOW I'm hungry!

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

The fig trees look so nice next to your pool. I'm hungry for figs too!

• ayyubaddeen
    13 years ago

First I just wanted to look at big fig trees but now I want to go swimming!

• texascockatoos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow - your set up is wonderful and to boot you don't even have to worry about critters stealing your figs.

• noss
    13 years ago

Hello Giants,

What kind of screening is that over your pool enclosure? That looks better than regular bird netting. As texascockatoos says, one wouldn't have to worry about critters like bugs I found eating the leaves on the tree out back. They looked like our brown Junebugs, but I'm not sure what they were. I would go out back late at night and pick them off as they were munching.

Thanks,

Vivian

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Hi Vivian
    Never thought how uncommon the screen enclosure is in other States. It is seen all over in FL and I never really paid attention when traveling but I guess the weight of snow might be a factor. Any way it is a fiberglass screen similar to what you might have for your windows or doors at home might be a little heavier mesh. The guys putting it in said once the spline is in you can stand on it but I never tested that theory. ; ) lol
    Sal

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

Well I had my fig tree cut back this last winter. Trunk is 12" and the limbs were out over my back fence front-to-back. It looks much better this year. I prefer Figs as bushes as it is so much easier to harvest the figs.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of my Schar Italian:

{{gwi:776911}}

And here is one of my Votata:

{{gwi:776916}}
    Cheers, Dennis

• texascockatoos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dennis,

Glad you posted pictures. I have never seen nor heard of either of your figs.
    The tree in the bottom picture looks like it would produce a very big figs.

Thanks again.
    Cathy

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Sal,

Thanks for the fast answer. I was wondering if I could put the screening on the framework instead of the bird netting, but probably not because "Celeste" decided to grow completely out of the perimeter of the frame and it's not even June, yet!!! The bird netting is pliable, but the screening would not be. I'm thinking that "Celeste" is as big a thug as the mockingbirds! She pretty well does what she pleases. And we pruned her way back this Spring. It's like she said, "Well--Oh YEAH? I'll show you!" And she has. :) I gotta love that tree.

Vivian

• gritslad
    13 years ago

Dennis,
    Where did you find those prolific trees? I want them! What do the figs taste like?

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    13 years ago

Joe Morle sells the Votata. I got the Schar Italian last year from a seller off eBay. I purchased it from a fellow here in Eastern NC. He had a lot of trees for sale and I got several from him. He advertised them on eBay and I won the bids. We chatted a while before I purchased several of his trees. I will be air-layering the Votata and giving it to my friend Sue. She sent me some cuttings months ago and I want to send her a nice Votata Fig. BUt I have to wait till after the fruit ripens and are removed. I have the Schar Italian in a large superpot and it is growing nicely! I had my Sal's Coreleone (yes it is the real one!) in a superpot. I wanted it to develop some long and strong roots. It did and I repotted it last night. I'll post a pic later on tonight. This year will be my first to taste all my figs except Alma. I will report their taste and photos when they ripen. cheers, Dennis

• botanicalbill
    13 years ago

The larger one in the foreground is a celeste. I have had it for about 3 years and has been in the ground just short of 2 years.
    To the right is an alma(new this spring from Mr James Robin)
    Far Left, LSU gold (from ebay, its a real LSU gold, fruited last year, in the ground for a year)
    In the back annother LSU gold from Mr James Robin, this past spring.
    {{gwi:776919}}

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Here a couple to see one 3rd season one in 7th season.
    {{gwi:776921}}
    Martin

• texascockatoos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice figs Martin.

I'm sure others can tell but which one is the older fig.
    At first I would say the one in front but the back one has a bigger trunk.

• harvey12
    13 years ago

We have not responded to Texascocatoos' request for photos of a mature fig tree. Attached is a picture of a 30+ foot mature tree, which I believe to be a Celeste. It is on a main street in Durham, NC, on the site of a popular restaurant. Every twig on the tree is loaded with young immature figs! It is typical of the size tree which once graced most Southern farm homesteads, one or two generations back. Sadly, they are no longer there. Lets hope that the recent surge in interest in figs will bring them back, and with a wider variety of figs.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50996704@N04/sets/72157624116090261/

• texascockatoos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Harvey12,

What a gorgeous fig tree. Absolutely love seeing large fig trees and you are right we don't have the large trees around here any more.

My grandmother had a fig tree behind the garage that I remember as a young child during the 50's. The old farmhouse has gone to the other side of the family and it's been 20 years since I was on the property. I was there a few weeks ago and YES the fig tree was still there. I'll be going back this winter to get cuttings.

I can't wait to for my fig trees to get even half the size of the one in your photos. I think I'll be fertilizing this weekend.

Cathy

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Grown in containers near Chicago a couple more of my mature trees from 2 seasons back. From left to right Hardy Chicago, EL.Sals, and Martins Unknown.
    Enjoy
    {{gwi:776923}}
    Martin

• sprouts_honor
    13 years ago

Can't resist posting a picture of my two container figs.

Not sure how old they were when I purchased them last April from Rolling River in CA. A cold summer and my lack of knowledge produced no fruit last season. This year, they've been pinched after the sixth leaf and had less nitrogen. The picture is from early April and they've leafed out quite a bit. Old dog also ate the bottom leafs off the Atreano on the left. The Negronne's breba haven't ripened yet and some main crop figs are almost the same size. Wondering if I should pinch the breba and let the tree use its energy on the main crop.
    Jennifer

P.S. That is Panda on squirrel patrol.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Great pics everyone. I will too share some pictures of my fig later on. Right now only some tiny figs on my hardy chicago. I'm starting to pinch on the tips on some of the longer branches to induce branching and fruiting. It's really an enjoyment to see all the nice looking fig trees. Continue to share please:)

• figtreeundrgrnd
    13 years ago

Love the photos. Great looking trees everyone. I have brebas and Fall baby figs forming now on my Sal's(?) variety. Can't wait!

Dieseler, your potted figs look really healthy and stocky. Do you prune them back for the winter? I have had trees in pots for the past three years and they have never produced. They put out new growth but it looks all spindley. I repotted them about a month ago and I noticed a few figs forming on one of them.

Any tips?

Thanks!

• dieseler
    13 years ago

I prune them back to keep there size and prune any unwanted branches that grow inward and some upward ,also the new growth i prune back some as well - sometimes i prune back a lot sometimes i dont i let the tree dictate to what it needs as some growing season here are not as good as others.
    Also here in my cold zone i alway nip the branches after the 5th leaf. I use scotts premium potting mix, upm potting mix, and have several in scotts seeding soil mix a heavy type slow draining mix. I fertilize once a week with miracle grow soluable 24-8-16 at full strength early in season, half strength mid season and later when figs are full grown and still green (i grow dark types only) i dont fertilize but still water them.
    Hope this helps a little as everyone grows them differently uses different potting mix , fertilizer etc. After 3 years at most i root prune them.
    But i cannot stress enough one does not have to have a degree in "figology" to grow them and get to enjoy many a ripe fig as they are very forgiving.
    One can see many pictures posted of fig plants growing out of cement walls in other countries and some in rather arid conditions grown inground and they produce figs.Others in area's with no care what so ever and the same they produce figs.
    Grown in containers they need a little help as opposed to being inground.
    Hope this gives you a few idea's.
    Martin

• figtreeundrgrnd
    13 years ago

Yes thank you, the information was very helpful. I did root prune before repotting...tok off about a third of the bottom...maybe that helped to stimulate fig growth.

I will top prune them when they go dormant this winter. I have to leave the pots outside this year as I can no longer haul them inside.

Thanks again!

• dontommyg
    12 years ago

I've been looking online at various articles and forums as I just purchased my first fig tree (to grow). I should have it in by wednesday and it is great to see other people's trees and fruit.
    I ordered a dwarf version and am planning on growing it in my sunroom.

But either way i'm excited and it will be my first tree.