Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoff_ri

Anyone have Trouble with Squirrels

Geoff S
12 years ago

For the past three years that I've had fig trees, the squirrels have left my figs alone and concentrated on eating ALL of my apples and strawberries. But, I'm becoming concerned that they might learn that figs are also good to eat.

Does anyone have experience with figs and squirrels? Do they like them and eat them? I'd appreciate suggestions on how to deal with them.

It seems like a losing battle. I don't have cats or dogs, so don't even suggest that. I've read about hanging pie tins etc., but I've also read that squirrels become accustomed to these.

I'm also considering fox urine and also hot pepper spray for the fruits. I've never seen an animal scratch it's eyes out because they got pepper in them, but I have seen a lot of people warn of this happening. I'm not sure if it's real or imagined. Frankly, I'm on the verge of not really caring about poor little squirrel's nose and eyes, but I might be convinced otherwise.

Suggestions appreciated.

Geoff

Comments (3)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

I have bunches of squirrels, they even tease my cat, they sneak up on her while she is asleep! They have never touched my figs. But I have a lot of hickory and oak trees that probably keep them satisfied. A friend of mine has a lot of problems with them eating his tomatoes but not his figs.

• herman2_gw
    12 years ago

Squirrels,love figs here in NJ.
    Of course they ate Peaches to when I had peaces.
    I have nets on the figs that I want for myself,and no nets on the trees I let them eat the fruits.

• organic_mescalito
    12 years ago

Between the squirrels and the birds, I can lose a lot of figs here in Virgina, even with cats hanging out around the tree. I often individually wrap figs with pieces of newspaper, and this definatly gives me more figs. It's time consuming, but I love my figs, so I do what I gotta do.

I hear squirrel is tasty, but I'm not sure if I could kill and clean them.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996