Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig tree froze?

Posted by KeithK59 NC (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 12:54

I live in zone 7 and have a 4 year old Brown Turkey Fig Tree. This year we had a late freeze. The tree was already starting to bud. The buds and about 1 foot of the ends of the branches are now black and the tree is showing little signs of life. Is there hope for it and is there anything I can do to save it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig tree froze?

Give them time, once the ground is consistently warm they should resprout from the ground. You may or may not get ripe figs this year but they should live and be fine. I lost all the top growth on my figs this year.

o

I have the same problem with our fig, only it's very clear the wood is dead everywhere above about 12" off the ground. This is a big fig too - 4 trunks from ground 3-4" in diameter. We're seeing ground sprouts popping up from the root area, but nothing on the above ground limbs at all. Our local nursery recommended pruning the dead off about 2" below the highest point of healthy bark. I posted this same question on one of the other similar forums. What do you think? Cut, or wait?

o

I would say wait

Same situation. 3 fig trees (unsure of varieties)
- ~6ft tall, I was threatening to pull up because of unproven production, had no frost damage and finally has a single fig (of course)
- also ~ft tall, has produced wonderful racquet ball size brown figs (breda) but has three branches where there is about 18 inches of no growth. Earlier this spring it looked like we lost half the tree but have started seeing bud and figs on most of these branches (except for the tip section described above).
- ~ft tall, newly planted last fall also lost major section of primary trunk.

Pruning questions:
- 2" below the highest point of healthy bark? Seem extreme to get rid of live section? Did nursery pro provide reasoning?
- When do i get rid of dead sections? Even if I follow above and cut away into the healthy section I don't want to do it now when that section may produce fruit.

o

Cut Them kike the nursery advice was given.
The 3 inches live to be cut is partially damaged and will produce cankerous wood terminal,that will invite borer to move in.
The advice was sound !

o

I had same problem with mature fig trees freezing this winter. The whole tree(s) are dead right to the ground. New growth is now sprouting from base and are around 6-8" tall. MY QUESTION is when is it okay to cut down the dead tree around these sprouts and how far down should I cut? Thanks! Pat

o

Cut down the dead trunks to about 2 foot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here