Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
very low hanging branches on young fig tree

Posted by stepandfetch 7b (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 13:11

I bought an Improved Celeste fig tree in early March from Just Fruits and Exotics. The tree is growing beautifully.. it has put on about 4-5 inches of growth and many large leaves. Anyway, the tree was in the perfectly pruned shape for the bush- type fig growth, but as the tree has put on more and more growth, two of the main branches have been leaning lower and lower. They are now about 3 inches off the ground, and nearly parallel to the ground.

What should I do about these? So far I have just let them thrive, but the leaves are almost resting on the ground. The branches are not leaning for lack of water.

Should I tie the branches up to a higher angle away from the ground or maybe wedge a rock between the ground and the branch to raise it up? If I tied them up to a higher angle, would they eventually grow in that angle without my support?

much thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: very low hanging branches on young fig tree

You can leave them and let them hang or you can tie them to a stick or what ever. That's the nature of the fig trees.
Not too sure as to why they lean sometimes but I'm guessing the new growth can't support its own weight and tends to lean before it hardens.
It's something I wouldn't worry about.

I'm sure others will have a more expert opinion/fact.

Good luck,
Rafed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here