Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loslunasfarms

Rooting with Roots Experiment 1, Success

loslunasfarms
15 years ago

I had a bare rooted italian cutting that was send to me about a month ago. I typically root prune when I get these because my A-type personality requires me to have a beautiful tree both above the ground, AND below it.

The last pic is of the other roots growing, but no green growth yet!

I had bunch of roots no thicker than pencil lead and no longer than a couple of inches. I put them in UPM, and here is the result about 4 weeks later, TWO MORE TREES:

Comments (19)

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

Jose, I guess we could start calling you the BIg root man

HAHAHEHE

Cecil

• thisisme
    15 years ago

Is it rooting with roots or making your own suckers? Whatever anyone would call it, its genius.

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thisisme, these are all roots. These were root tips that were pruned off. When I got this tree some roots (1-2) were about 6" while the rest were about 3" long. I pruned the roots to a pretty fan shape and essentially kept the clippings, and put them in a very light potting soii.

I guess the answer to your question,is yes, both.

• gorgi
    15 years ago

loslunasfarms,
    Guess (real) roots DO leaf after all; thanks!
    A very big fig potential...
    George (NJ).

• boizeau
    15 years ago

So far, it looks like vermiculite is my best root growing media. Potting mix is too dense and damp, and i get a lot of root rot. Will see in a few more days. Also, I use rootone, which contains a fungicide as well, 'may be more important than even the root hormone?'

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Boiz,

I think that saying the potting mix is do dense and damp depends on the mix. I have used MG potting soil and found it is too damp for inital rootings. I use UPM instead have not every had that problem. The UPS stays nice and spongy, thus not dense, and with just enough water it is very light and damp, thus making my roots just awesome.

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was moving these little trees to a larger pot so here his an updated photo of the small Italian fig trees from my rooting experiment:

• elder
    15 years ago

loslunasfarms, did any of your roots have unusual characteristics (buds) from which the differentiation took place?

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Elder:

Not that I could see, they were just chopped roots from the bottom of the rooted cutting given to me. I root prune as a habit because they the rooted cutting fits better in the pots and they seem to grow better later.

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update:

One of the trees dies from fungus gnats, but here is the other roarin and screamin with growth. Hard to believe just a few months ago it was a few inches tall but now is 1.5 feet tall.

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

JBS
    The roots Lou NE Pa sent me I wasn't successful with!

It is something I probablly didn't do right!

I have a LSU Gold fig plant that I pulled out of the pot just a while ago, saw a nice fat white root, snipped the thing off at about 2.5" put it in moist UPM, then layed it horizontally in a small tray with a vented lid on it, then I put it on my computer tower where it will be nice & cozy.
    I hope it works this time, but if it don't, I will keep trying.
    Thanx for the update.
    Cecil

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cecil,

I put them in fluffed UPM what was slightly damp. THe UPM was crumbled on the rooted cuttings. I didnt have to water them fro about 3 weeks as I kept the container a plastic bin I used for propagation.

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

JBS
    That is just exactly what I have did ! this time, the tray has some drain holes in the bottom & I punched 4 holes that is the size of a 16 penny nail in the lid!
    Do you think that will do it?, or should I close the holes in the lid?

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is one of the trees about 6" tall. It is getting shipped to a good friend and I bare rooted it for shipping. It had rooted pretty well. Not bad considering it started as a 4" length of root with a thickness of spaghetti.

• mastino
    15 years ago

GREAT read, very interesting!

• dieseler
    15 years ago

loslunasfarms,
    im curious , after putting roots in contaners were they under a light in a window with light or what type of lighting were they givind. Also in my search on meristems which contains aall the cells for plant growth and cannot really be seen with our eyes unless under magnifaction they reside in the bus part of fig tree, but i ran across something that said they also are at the ends of roots but usually cause of there size get damaged easily, im not saying but its quite possible this is how your just might have developed. I might try this its another interesting thing to do for the winter months. Thanks for shareing your information.
    Martin

• loslunasfarms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Martin, they had.a full days worth of indirect light. Let me if you need more info.

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Loslunas farms,
    thanks, i tries about 6 to 10 in different ways i have a couple ups so there in there like a plant and a couple of plastic bins one froma dremel tool assortment and one from a bakery all washed and had very hot water put in to help clean more, so ones in tray are sideways. Iy would be great it i get 1 or 2 i would be tickled .
    Martin

• dieseler
    15 years ago

I really need to check my spelling better to make it easier to read, what i forgot to mention was that i put them except 2 trays under grow light the other 2 are in warm laundry for now with cover on and i misted not watered the soil, time will tell and i will update with excitement if anything happens.