Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Repot now or wait?

Posted by beckylc zone 4 (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 14:03

I intended to repot my two figs earlier into bigger pots, but wasn't able to get to it till now. They've been kept in an unheated garage over winter, we've had a cold spring, and they just started leafing out when we were gone a week ago. One has leaf buds about an inch long, the other, about a half inch. I just went out to get started on the repotting, but they both have little figs starting, too. One plant is about 10 years old and 4 feet tall, the other about 5 years old and 2 feet tall.

Will I lose the baby figs if I repot them now? If it's safe to do, should I try to bare-root them like I was intending, or just shave off the edges and repot? They're in a regular potting mix now, but I was going to repot with one of the pine bark mixes I read about here. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Repot now or wait?

You can repot a fig tree (in a larger size pot) any time of the year. Couple of weeks ago I repotted over 10 fig trees in larger containers, most of them had figlets on them, non dropped.
Do not root prune them this time of the year. Root pruning is done around Jan and Feb. when the tree is in a quiescent stage.

Navid.

o
RE: Help! Repot now or wait?

Thanks for your help. If I'm just potting up and not root pruning, can I still use the new potting mix, or should I try to make the new soil similar to the old?

o
Soil

Your new soil should be like the old soil. If you use a totally different soil for potting up, you will end up having problems in drainage.

Navid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here