Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalie_florida

Can anyone take a guess at when this fig might produce fruit?

Kalie
10 years ago

I bought this little guy about 2 months ago and it has already put out tons of new leaves. I was just wondering if anyone can guess when it might produce fruit... this year? I have no idea what variety it is because it wasn't labeled, but I'm very excited to figure that out. :)

Comments (5)

• centurion_
    10 years ago

Knowing the variety would help a lot.

Some varieties will produce fruit their first year. Others will take two or more years before they produce.

Your tree looks very healthy,

• frozenjoe
    10 years ago

Nice looking tree. Like Centurion said, it depends based on the variety. Some varieties only produce figs on the previous year's growth. Some only produce figs later in the season and have trouble ripening them when the tree is still young. But there are lots of varieties that will ripen main crop figs on young plants like yours. The fact that it has been growing strong is a good sign. It also helps that you're in a long season climate. There's a good chance you could get some figs from it this year. Keep your fingers crossed. The figs will first start to show as a small bump above where the leaf attaches to the branch. Usually it takes about 2 to 3 months from when that bump first appears to when there are ripe figs. Good luck.

Joe

• ottawan_z5a
    10 years ago

Joe wrote it nicely including about the small bump (fig embryo) appearing on the branch wood by the upper side of the leaf on current year wood. You may somewhat expedite the formation of these embryo by a technique called "pinching". Search this fig forum or other fig forums for "pinching" and you will learn that by pinching every branch and side branch after the 6th or 5th leaf the branch energy and activity is directed more toward embryo formation than branch elongation. I am in cold climate area with short growing season so I pinch after 5th leaf now (& 4th leaf a bit later in the season.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful little tree. You are off to a great start. Just prune to balance the shape and you'll be fine. Don't be in a hurry, figs from immature trees can sometimes be a little disappointing. Long term thinking and planning is the best approach.

• fignewbies
    10 years ago

Hi,

Your tree is a little beauty! Let it grow to be strong and healthy first so it will give you lots of sweet fig fruits after.

frozenjoe description of "small bump" is interesting and I'd like to add some more words to this, see below: LOL
    As for now, admire your little tree and soon you will be so excited to see once tiny, little bump bump of fig plant grows to delicious fruit readily tasted and melted in your mouth!