Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pea gravel in pots

Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 15:10

I have a few extra bags of pea gravel laying around and I was wondering if that would be a good idea (or horrible) for one component of my potting medium?

I'm basing this off of Al's fig mixture where he uses "Truface" which he calls "high-fired clay, almost ceramic" and also "crushed granite poulty grit or #2 cherry stone"

I'm not really familiar with the above items (yet) but do you think pea gravel would be suitable substitute? Or is it too big of a particle size to do what it's supposed to be doing?

Thanks,
Bart

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pea gravel in pots

Hey, Bart!

Pea gravel is *usually* larger than you'd want....however, it can substitute for the granite grit.
On occasion, I've found pea gravel in the 1/8 to 1/4 inch range which was very nice for my mixes.
The other thing to consider is that pea gravel isn't very "sharp." Sharp, irregular grit seems
to be better overall in terms of open drainage and root-development (abrasion).

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here