Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayndeb_gw

new fig tree help

rayndeb
11 years ago

I planted a fig tree that is approx. 3' tall last june. I had some fruit last year. Now this year I have all dead branches exept for one small new growth branch on the bottom. My question is, is it worth saving or some type of trimming to save it, or is it a lost cause? Thanks for any info.

Comments (8)

• terry_upstate_ny
    11 years ago

I would try to save it. The root system is still alive. The same thing happened to me when I planted my first fig tree unprotected in the winter. It grew back the next winter killed it however. Now I plant my fig trees in pots and store them in a shelter over the winter where they will not freeze but can go dormant.
    Terry

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Hope it did not get damaged in the winter. If the branches are truly dead, pruning is a good idea. Terry is right about growing fig trees in cold places. They must be protected. Keep in mind that figs are in the Bible, so they are not made to thrive in places which freeze. Lucky for you, your tree has life left in it. If it is in the ground, consider digging it up and putting it in a container. Give it a good trim, lots of sunshine and let's hope it will survive.

Many in these forums start with mere twigs, and get a couple of fee of growth per season. Your tree has a good root system, and it will have a better chance to grow and fruit again because of this. A little love will go a long way right now.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

rayndeb....

This scenario will repeat, year, after year....until one bad winter, your tree will be killed. In-ground tree in this climate zone should be protected. Yes, some trees will survive through our winters, but you will always be gambling on Mother Nature.

Read all the postings on this forum on how to protect in-ground trees, and how to grow, and over-winter containerized-trees.

When your tree has to re-grow what was lost each year due to bad weather, where's the gain, and where's your figs? If you have an unheated garage, or storage shed, seriously consider growing figs in large containers. My trees are in large storage tubs that I bought from Home Depot, and I put them on dollies. I roll them in and out of my unheated storage shed each year, and, no winter damage yet. The trees just start back up where they left off. I get dozens of figs each year.

You live on Long Island....check out Zaino's Nursery and Garden Center, in Westbury, NY. for bearing-size fig trees. If you like "white" figs...get a variety called: "Atreano-Gold"...you'll love it, and it is a very hardy variety that does well in this climate zone....but it still needs some protection.

Hope this might help you. Good luck, and happy growing.

Frank

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi Frank,

Zaino's doesn't ship, right?

noss

11 years ago

noss....

I doubt it. I don't think this garden center is set up for mail-order, but just pick-ups. You could try calling....maybe they will ship.

If you need the "Atreano-Gold"....call Dalton Durio, at Durio Nursery, LA. - (337-308-6677....cell#).
    I sent him wood to propagate "Atreano-Gold"/Belleclare.

Good Luck....hope this helps.

Frank

• noss
    11 years ago

Hi Frank,

I did email Dalton and asked about new varieties that he didn't have listed and I've not heard back from him. I guess I'll give him a call. May I tell him you told me to call him about it?

Thanks,

noss

11 years ago

noss....

Absolutely.... Tell him Frank, from The Bronx, NYC told you to give him a buzz. Tell him I wish him well and the family too.

Good luck.

Frank

• ejp3
    11 years ago

Cut out all the dead wood until you get to live wood. You never said what variety is is. There are lots of ways to protect the tree in the winter, some more labor intensive than others. I have trimmed back trees (Pomegranate and figs) in winter to fit under a rubbermaid plastic garbage can and have gotten fruit the next year.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths