Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fungicide use on fig cuttings

Posted by creekweb (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 15:18

It appears that the warm humid conditions that best favor propagation of figs from cuttings are the same that favor the growth of fungus, and I would think measures taken to kill or inhibit fungus would likely improve success rates. I see that several here have used chemicals like bleach or hydrogen peroxide in an effort to kill surface fungus, but I would think that this approach would have limitations, especially once leaves appear. I was wondering if anyone here has applied any of the fungicides specifically labeled for use on fruit trees to fig cuttings, and if so, what their observations have been.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fungicide use on fig cuttings

To answer your question.......yes, I have read quiet a few posts on this forum where different compounds and chemicals were used to fight mold. However, the best strategy it to prevent mold from occurring in the first place. It is not difficult to prevent mold problems if you follow good fig rooting procedures and proper cutting cleaning & storage methods.

Dan

o
RE: fungicide use on fig cuttings

If you are talking about leaf rust that is different from mold I'm in FL and have had problems with rust last season and a copper fungicide seems to help. If this is the case Home depot or lowes should have it labeled as copper Fungicide or check with local nursery. I'm sure others will chime in i also heard of Bordeaux spray but not really sure what that is
Sal

o
RE: fungicide use on fig cuttings.

This might help
http://msucares.com/newsletters/pests/infobytes/19990915.htm
Sal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here