Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What my plant is trying to say ?

Posted by sam89 Z10SF (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 15:24

I had a fig plant in a 3 gallon container. Since I potted, it has 7 inch extension. 8 pieces of leaves and is growing very well, leaf emerges right after leaf.

I've been watering and fertilize in almost daily. I use tap water first and after water flow out from bottom of container. Then I apply fertilizer in weakly solution. Sun exposure is close to 10hr max someday. Top soil gets very dry because of Sunlight exposure and I put a piece of paper cardborad to cover top soil

Today I noticed fine roots has been growing near the soil line. Questions I have for folks here might have same experience.

1. Am I water too frequently ? every time I water I lay the container on dirt to reduce perched water.
2. Do I need to repot as I just pot up from 1 gallon to 3 gallon 3 months ago ? I didn't see roots coming out from drain holes.
3. Should I remove to cardboard to promote root going down ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What my plant is trying to say ?

Sam, here is my two cents. Depending on your soil and location, you may be watering your tree TOO MUCH. I recommend getting a moisture meter and a pH tester. Here is what I would do:

1st Test the soil with a pH tester. --may need lime
2nd Test the soil for moisture daily. --should read MOIST
3rd Only fertilize weekly with a very weak liquid fertilizer (25% of the recommended amount per gallon)
4th Repot the tree to a 3gal container
5th Apply a good amount of mulch

cheers!
Dennis

o

Dennis, Thanks for your advice. I think I may be watering little bit too much. However the fig is growing vigorously and it uptakes a lot of water during a hot day. In a cool day I try to withhold some water.
I used potting soil and 10% perlite. So it holds a lot of water.

o

you are probably watering more than is needed, but the tree does not seem to be complaining. The fine roots are likely from the "mulch" effect of the cardboard. Don't worry about them but do consider switching to a more permanent mulching agent. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here