Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how can you tell if your fig tree is dead or alive?

Posted by pantelo toronto (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 07 at 16:24

i have 3 trees and i do not know if they are dead or not.
when i took them out of dormant they looked very good.buds were coming out. a week later the buds dried out and now its been almost a month and i have not seen not one bud come out. how can you tell if they are alive or not?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how can you tell if your fig tree is dead or alive?

Pantelo,
One way to do it is for you to use your thumbnail and just nip a little of the bark off. If you see the color green under the bark then most likely it is still alive. Start near the top of the tree. If it is not green under the bark them move down the trunk to see if you can locate an area that might still have some life left in it yet.

Hope you see the color green. Let us know.

Lou NE., PA

o

thanks for the tip. i will do this. right now its dark out but i will check it out.i hope they are still alive espeacilly my big one which is from greece.it gives the best tasting figs in my opinion.

o

i scratched the bark of my tree starting from the top and going downwards and found no green. the only green i see is a small branch coming out of the base of my tree(bottom).
does this mean my hole tree is dead eccept for that one small branch. i am very upset.
is there anything i can do?

o

sorry one more question.
if there is no green under the bark does that mean its dead for sure?should i wait before cutting and if i have to cut how do i do this.

o

It isn't uncommon for a northern fig to die to ground level, although the sequence of events for yours seems strange. If the roots system is intact, it can grow quickly from even a small shoot. I don't cut dead wood off a fig. I just keave it there and eventually snap it off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here