Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

Fig from Turkey

fairfield8619
10 years ago

So this guy from Turkey sent me some cuttings last year and they all rooted. I know I shouldn't have bought them but I couldn't help myself- no lectures please. Due to moving house I thought I had lost them all but one is very much alive and put up a shoot. The question is will it need the wasp in order to fruit? Are there common figs in the Med or do they all need the wasp? Of course I will have to nurse it along for a long time even then.

Comments (4)

• herman2_gw
    10 years ago

Your question is catch 22.
    You can ask the seller,if the tree is self fertile,or you can grow the plant till it fruits and find out.
    No other way to know.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not a catch-22. I guess that means means no- there are also common figs in the Med I guess that don't need a wasp. That was the question. That was a strange reply to a simple question, obviously it will have to grow out to see. Thanks anyway.

• jesj1852
    10 years ago

Hi, I too got some fig tree cuttings from Turkey.
    I suppose your variety has a name.If it happens to be
    Bardacik or Purple fig (aka Patlican),they don't need the wasp.
    So I was told by the seller; should I trust him? Time will tell.
    By the way, my Patlican has 5 months and it's very beautiful.It grows upright and it's a fast grower.
    I am very impressed by how nice this fig tree looks. Bardacik shows symptoms of FMV. It looks OK but I cannot stand looking at those 'leaves' and those bright yellow spots. It screams 'FMV'.I'm not happy about that.And I won't keep it for very long.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/fig_masaic_virus.htm

The main problem I came across when buying from these guys from Turkey is that communication is 'really bad'.
    They don't speak a word of english. And their packing is horrendous. I had to order many times so that I could get cuttings that were viable.After the 3th time I had to ask for a refund, and they were not happy. That is, one of them wasn't happy. The other one was OK about that.I got in total 7 varieties from Turkey. One of them, Bursa Black needs the wasp. And so does Goklop. But that's OK. I have 2 varieties of caprifigs and no wasp. But there are ways to fertilize these fig 'flowers' besides that wasp.I might give it a go once or twice.Just to see the results.
    It might be fun.

This post was edited by jesj1852 on Sun, May 5, 13 at 0:01

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I do think it is a Patlican so I may be alright. I only got one order from the guy and I guess I was lucky. They were packaged pretty good I thought, wrapped in paper towels and obviously soaked in vinegar. Placed in a zip lock bag and a piece of cardboard around them for protection. Nothing was broken and there were even root initials starting. I wish I had got even more different varieties now since I'm settled in the new house and ready to work on the yard.