Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaglpus

Rattlesnake Island Fig from Jon

Good day, does anyone have Jon's Rattlesnake Island Fig? I have some cuttings and let me tell you this fig takes a very long time to leaf out. I started some cuttings 2 months ago and after seeing roots, it did not begin to leaf out until I place it in my 97 degree greenhouse! When temperatures got above 100 in there, I took them out and placed them in the shade. The extra heat helped them alot but it is a slow growing tree. I had the same issue with Ventura but it started budding last week and slowly leaves are starting. Has any noticed the same thing with Rattlesnake Island? Dennis

Comments (8)

• rafed
    13 years ago

Dennis,
    I should consider myself lucky. Didn't have any issues with these two variants. I got my Rattle Snake Island from Jon just around the same time as everyone else did. Seems to be doing well for me.
    I got my Ventura cuttings late last Summer from Adriano. Little slow but almost every plant slows down during the Winter Months. I removed both variants along with abouts twentyfive or so from their 20oz. cups into 1gl. containers about a week or so ago.

Rattle Snake Island

Ventura

Your will do well for you,

Rafed

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Rafed, your cutting look strong. Mine look good, there is a couple of small green buds swelling so they are getting ready to leaf out. They are just taking a long time to grow. What I am noticing is those cutting that take the longest to root, bud and leaf out are strong cutlivars. I like that! I'll post my pictures tomorrow. I guess I'm just anxious hoping for fruit this year....if it does fruit I will remove it for stronger fruit next year. Dennis

• rafed
    13 years ago

Thanks Dennis,
    Just doing it to lift your spirits. I think I did.
    We must keep the faith and remain hopeful.
    Looking foreward to seeing the pics.

Good luck,
    Rafed

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Rafed, Here are a few picture of my Rattlesnake Island cuttings potted up.
    {{gwi:779772}}
    {{gwi:779775}}
    more..
    {{gwi:779778}}
    Here is my Sultane cutting I got from UC Davis a few months ago:
    {{gwi:779782}}
    Here is my Ventura fig I got from Jon. Now this fig cutting was started in a 50/50 mixture indoors in a container along with other cuttings:
    {{gwi:779785}}
    Here is a picture of cuttings that were started the same time as Rattlesnake Island and Ventura.

{{gwi:779787}}
    How about those figs!!!!
    cheers, Dennis

• rafed
    13 years ago

Dennis,

I get excited when I see bumps on the cuttings.
    Is it a figlet? Or is a leaf? The suspense continues for a few days. It's a 50/50 shot. LOL

Looks goods, I'd like to say by middle or end of this coming week we all will know what those bumps will end up being.

Keep up the good work.
    And oh, You forgot to buy the matching saucers. LOL

Rafed

• possum_trot
    13 years ago

Rafed, where do you find those purple tags?
    Susan

• rafed
    13 years ago

Susan,

I got mine from a local nursery. If memory serves me I paid about $7 for the roll and if you look at the picture the roll was actually twice the size when I purchased it, To give you an idea.

Good luck,
    Rafed

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rafed, I think they are leaves but its been about a week now and no more growth. I placed the cuttings back in my greenhouse since it was a cool night, 49 degrees and a high of 69. Heat is what will make the buds swell and pop into leaves. My Dark Green Greek and White Marseilles have "popped" and leafed out. They don't like the cool weather either so I placed them back in my greenhouse for a few days. Temperatures a getting back up to 80 on Tuesday and will stay there till Summer.

How bout those figs!!!!

cheers, Dennis