Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

Should I plant these in the ground

I have not planted a fig tree in many years. The last one was planted in PA. It was a cutting, about a foot tall. We put it in the ground and it survived. Probably because the summers were not too hot and we covered it well all winter (and it was planted on the south side of the house, close to the house). Someone just gave me two young fig plants. He grew them from cuttings. One has two leaves and a 3rd emerging. It's in a 4" pot. It's about 3" tall. The other has 5 leaves, is about 5" tall and is planted in a tall, 2 gallon pot. The person who gave me the plants told me they are ready to go in the ground now. I'm new to gardening in NC and I'm not sure this is the right thing to do. My fear is that the heat/sun of summer and winter freezes will kill these small plants . I was going to plant on the south side of our house, water well all summer and cover in the winter, but I'm still questioning this. Would it be better if I left the plants in pots and transplant into larger pots this year as they grow and then plant in the ground in the Fall, or next Spring, or should I put them in the ground now? Thanks so much for your help.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz