Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun Burn

Posted by alynne (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 18:15

I brought my fig tree in last year and kept it alive over the winter. The first nice day I put it outside on my west facing balcony. The new tender leaves burned. (I think - see first pic) The new leaves look fine. (second pic) Do I take off the burnt leaves? Will the damage make it prone to disease or pests? It doesn't have too many leaves, so was worried about it's ability to sustain itself. (3rd pic) Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun Burn

Pics didn't post right, but they are pretty self explanatory

o

burnt leaf. Can I not post more than one pic in one post?

o

not sure about that last pic, but the rest of the tree looks fine.

what area or zone are you in?

perhaps you brought it out too late, figs can be brought out as long as there's no frost, i'd suggest about 36'F and higher if potted as not to dmg the roots.

edit: yes if you upload directly to this forum its one pic per post. or if you use photobucket or imageshack or any other photo hosting websites you can upload a bunch then link them in your post.

This post was edited by houstontexas123 on Tue, May 21, 13 at 22:54

o

Hi, alynne:

It is OK that the fig tree doesn't have too many leaves as it is
characteristic of fig tree.
The new leaf and fruit grow on the new growth of the fig tree. It will have more leaves as it grows.

o

The tree will drop the leaf if it doesn't need it. It will also recoup some nutrients out of the leaf before it drops it. So, I would leave the leaf. If part of the leaves curls up and turns turns crispy and part stays green, you can always trim the crispy stuff off if it bothers you to look at it.

o

Thanks for the input. The burnt leaves fell off new ones grew and my Fig looks so happy! Thought I would share.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here