Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isobea

To cut or not to cut

isobea
9 years ago

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and would appreciate your input. I have a 4 1/2 foot tall fig tree that I grew from a cutting (several years old). Don't know what kind it is, but I love its growth habit. Since the trunk is only 12 inches tall it looks more like a shrub which works out beautifully because it is on a slope and I can still reach the fruit.
Now here is my dilemma: I just bought a 'Corky's Honey Delight' today which is already 4 1/2 feet tall (from the soil line. I built another planter for it and would love to have it grow more like a shrub (at least for a number of years) just like my other one. That means I would have to cut the tree trunk at about 16 inches or so and would loose the tiny figlets that are already developing. BUT long term I would be happier with a smaller tree. What would you do? Second question: what would be the best way to root the top part of the plant after I cut it off?
Thanks for your help, Iso

PS: I only know how to post one picture at a time, so the first one is of my shrubby fig.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH