Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noss_gw

Anyone in the flood zones?

noss
12 years ago

Hello All,

If there is anyone in the flood zones of the MS River runoff, our hearts and prayers are with you at this time.

Dan--Hill you be all right where you are? Mike said that you will be okay, Gene.

My heart is heavy, thinking about Louisiana and the other states in general that will be harmed by the high water.

God bless and keep you in His care.

Love,

noss

Comments (5)

• genecolin
    12 years ago

Noss, I think Houma will be ok but some of the area between Houma and Morgan City will get water. I remember the 1973 flood when Highway 90 between Gibson and Morgan city was close because of water on the road. The towns of Gibson, Donner, Chacahula all had minor flooding. For that flood Houma and the surrounding bayou land were untouched.

Wishing everyone well and y'all are in our prayers.
    "gene"

• noss
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gene,

I'm glad that Houma seems like it will be okay. Not only are you there, but Mike is there at work. Of course, if water threatens them, they'll all just fly away like they did during Katrina, except all the cars got drowned, but Mike was away in FL with "The Other Woman" (very large, yellow and black helicopter) :)

I feel so badly for the people whose homes will be flooded out and I'm praying for a miracle for them.

Mike said Morgan City has its own levees around it, but you just never know what will happen.

Stay safe,

noss

• noss
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The PHI base in Morgan City has evacuated everything because water is encroaching upon the facility. There are homes all around that area. :(

noss

• danab_z9_la
    12 years ago

Noss,

During the 1973 flooding when both spillways were opened to relieve levee pressure on the Mississippi river it ALMOST changed its course. The structure at the three rivers area was darn near undermined. Flow would have been diverted down the Atchafalaya River rather than its present day course. That would have been a catastrophic disaster because salt water would have gone up river all the way to Baton Rouge. This would have shut down all of the major Industries that line both banks of the Mississippi river from Baton Rouge to just south of New Orleans. The area between Baton Rouge and New Orleans probably would not have been able to overcome this disaster.

Below is a link that you might find interesting. The Three Rivers control structure has been re-engineered since 1973 to "HOPEFULLY" prevent the river from changing its course during our lifetime. I'm praying for those who are in the flood zone. However, I'm praying even harder that the control structure does it job. In time, the Mighty Mississippi River WILL change its course no matter what little ole men do.....

Dan
    Semper Fi-cus

Here is a link that might be useful: Mississippi River Control Structures

• noss
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link, Dan. Very interesting. I sent it to Mike to see, as well.

noss

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH