Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Figs on the brain--and I blame you!

Posted by girlbug2 9/10, Sunset zone 23 (My Page) on
Wed, May 19, 10 at 19:35

I don't know how it happened, but in less than 1 month I went from a sensible 3-fig owner to a fanatic who is making cutting wish lists and planning a huge potted fig garden for the next Spring. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Figs on the brain--and I blame you!

Hi Girlbug2,
no no no cant blame me i dont have a bunch of plants compared to most other members. ; )
But i can name a few for you to blame......LOL
Martin

o

• Posted by mrhappy z8 - Austin, TX (My Page) on
    Wed, May 19, 10 at 22:50

Another one bites the dust!

o

Ahhh yes, she drank the figgy Kool Aid!

o

If you are looking for sympathy you wont find it here!

o

Oh YUM! FIGS! :)

o

The only thing that helps with the fig bug is more figs. Good luck.

o

• Posted by girlbug2 9/10, Sunset zone 23 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 20, 10 at 11:54

I bet nobody ever gets this obsessed with apples.

I'm doomed.

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b NJ (My Page) on
    Thu, May 20, 10 at 14:00

Warning!:
Watch how much your available phisical-space (land-wise)
can possibly sustain (good-green-stuff)...

o

Well, the disease can happen in every thing except for mint! Shudder! That stuff takes over!! Lucky for me there is no grape vine forum here, because I'd take that one over big time!

I am starting the fig addiction in a small way because my vineyard has priority, but I am looking forward to the taste test of my first fig, Italian Honey (of which there are at least 6 baby figs), and next year to the produce of cuttings I have of Panachee, Black Mission, and Violet de Bordeaux. Did I say that right? I get confused. I have a fabulous grape varietal called Violette De Bouchet (It is the only red meat grape alive, and was HUGE in prohibition! The bootleggers could stretch it because of it's rich red color. All other red grapes need to sit on the skins for a while to extract the color in wine.)

When my figs give me enough to make wine, I'll become a fig addict for sure!

o

girlbug2 I did the same thing and figs are the largest part of my backyard orchard. The first three years of plantings I only planted fig trees. The last few years I have been adding Apples, Pears, Peaches, Nectarines and Plums, Cherries and Citrus.

At this point I really wish I had started with a more rounded approach and included the other fruits from the start. I still like figs but 5-6 fig trees are about all I need.

o

It's like "The Blob"., In a couple of months , I have gone from A couple of Brown Turkies, to Black Mission, Beer's Black, LSU Gold, Pete'Honey fig and a Desert King.
No more room !!! I stood in front of the house, waiting on the UPS truck !!! It is very catching, this Fig disease !
Fred

o

What's all this talk about Fig Addiction, Fig Obsession, etc.,etc.? Who decided how many is too many? The wife says I'm in denial!Hahahahaha! Tim

o

So, what do you do with these things? If you don't make wine, which I do, what other use do they have?

o

Girlbug2 n Deserstdance if and or when the time comes and you cannot eat all your figs here is a link to 178 recipes for figs. ; )
Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.justfruitrecipes.com/inxfig.html

o

This is for all the fig junkies.

I'm your mama
I'm your daddy
I'm your brother
In the alley
I'm your doctor
when in need
You know me
I'm your friend
Your main boy
Thick and thin

I'm your Pusherman,,,,,Your Pusherman

Ain't I clean
Bad machine
Super cool
Super mean
Dealin good
for the man
Superfly, Here I stand
Secret stash
Heavy bread
Baddest branches
In the shed

I'm your Pusherman,,,,Your Pusherman,,,, Your Pusherman

These are the lyrics from Curtis Mayfield SuperFly album/song and from the 70s movie Superfly.

Had to change a few of the words in the song.

Rafed

o

Diesler, Thanks for the link. Did you see the recipe for the Fig Rum Loaf? Oh-YUM! I've gotta make that one.

noss

o

Dieseler, I just now looked at that link! Wow! I thought the Fig Port Mustard sounded great, and I love figs with arugla, so all those salads sound great too! Now I can't wait for my first figs to get ripe. Hopefully my little cuttings will grow nicely this year so they can bear next!
Thanks!
Suzi

o

Your all welcome, many recipes i like to try one day .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here