Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlbug2

Figs on the brain--and I blame you!

girlbug2
13 years ago

I don't know how it happened, but in less than 1 month I went from a sensible 3-fig owner to a fanatic who is making cutting wish lists and planning a huge potted fig garden for the next Spring. Help!

Comments (26)

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Girlbug2,
    no no no cant blame me i dont have a bunch of plants compared to most other members. ; )
    But i can name a few for you to blame......LOL
    Martin

• mrhappy
    13 years ago

Another one bites the dust!

• wildforager
    13 years ago

Ahhh yes, she drank the figgy Kool Aid!

• loslunasfarms
    13 years ago

If you are looking for sympathy you wont find it here!

• noss
    13 years ago

Oh YUM! FIGS! :)

• genecolin
    13 years ago

The only thing that helps with the fig bug is more figs. Good luck.

• girlbug2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bet nobody ever gets this obsessed with apples.

I'm doomed.

• gorgi
    13 years ago

Warning!:
    Watch how much your available phisical-space (land-wise)
    can possibly sustain (good-green-stuff)...

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

Well, the disease can happen in every thing except for mint! Shudder! That stuff takes over!! Lucky for me there is no grape vine forum here, because I'd take that one over big time!

I am starting the fig addiction in a small way because my vineyard has priority, but I am looking forward to the taste test of my first fig, Italian Honey (of which there are at least 6 baby figs), and next year to the produce of cuttings I have of Panachee, Black Mission, and Violet de Bordeaux. Did I say that right? I get confused. I have a fabulous grape varietal called Violette De Bouchet (It is the only red meat grape alive, and was HUGE in prohibition! The bootleggers could stretch it because of it's rich red color. All other red grapes need to sit on the skins for a while to extract the color in wine.)

When my figs give me enough to make wine, I'll become a fig addict for sure!

• thisisme
    13 years ago

girlbug2 I did the same thing and figs are the largest part of my backyard orchard. The first three years of plantings I only planted fig trees. The last few years I have been adding Apples, Pears, Peaches, Nectarines and Plums, Cherries and Citrus.

At this point I really wish I had started with a more rounded approach and included the other fruits from the start. I still like figs but 5-6 fig trees are about all I need.

• fredfig
    13 years ago

It's like "The Blob"., In a couple of months , I have gone from A couple of Brown Turkies, to Black Mission, Beer's Black, LSU Gold, Pete'Honey fig and a Desert King.
    No more room !!! I stood in front of the house, waiting on the UPS truck !!! It is very catching, this Fig disease !
    Fred

• fatnsassytexan
    13 years ago

What's all this talk about Fig Addiction, Fig Obsession, etc.,etc.? Who decided how many is too many? The wife says I'm in denial!Hahahahaha! Tim

13 years ago

So, what do you do with these things? If you don't make wine, which I do, what other use do they have?

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Girlbug2 n Deserstdance if and or when the time comes and you cannot eat all your figs here is a link to 178 recipes for figs. ; )
    Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.justfruitrecipes.com/inxfig.html

• rafed
    13 years ago

This is for all the fig junkies.

I'm your mama
    I'm your daddy
    I'm your brother
    In the alley
    I'm your doctor
    when in need
    You know me
    I'm your friend
    Your main boy
    Thick and thin

I'm your Pusherman,,,,,Your Pusherman

Ain't I clean
    Bad machine
    Super cool
    Super mean
    Dealin good
    for the man
    Superfly, Here I stand
    Secret stash
    Heavy bread
    Baddest branches
    In the shed

I'm your Pusherman,,,,Your Pusherman,,,, Your Pusherman

These are the lyrics from Curtis Mayfield SuperFly album/song and from the 70s movie Superfly.

Had to change a few of the words in the song.

Rafed

• noss
    13 years ago

Diesler, Thanks for the link. Did you see the recipe for the Fig Rum Loaf? Oh-YUM! I've gotta make that one.

noss

13 years ago

Dieseler, I just now looked at that link! Wow! I thought the Fig Port Mustard sounded great, and I love figs with arugla, so all those salads sound great too! Now I can't wait for my first figs to get ripe. Hopefully my little cuttings will grow nicely this year so they can bear next!
    Thanks!
    Suzi

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Your all welcome, many recipes i like to try one day .

• noss
    2 years ago

Hello, GardeningTeenager! Well, thank you very much for the great compliment. :D For me, though I like the shapes of the different leaves, it's the flavor of the figs that I love. Can't get enough of them, no matter what. I've tried to grow different varieties over the past decade + but I came to the conclusion that I love Celeste the best, both regular and Improved varieties. I like a regular fig flavor, but I like my Almas and Golden Celestes, plus the black varieties I have. Most of my fig trees are in pots, but two Celestes are in ground and the figs are delicious. It is a challenge to work with edible fig trees in a colder climate, but in Louisiana where it's hotter than all get-out in the summer, that's a challenge, as well, if the trees are in pots. I'm happy to have heard from you. Happy Figging, noss

• GardeningTeenager
    2 years ago

Thank you so much! I now want to try growing celeste!

• GardeningTeenager
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Poor little figs from Florida hill nursery just came in. One is looking not so great... It has a bowed trunk. The growth looks uneven and it is really small with one leaf. The other one doesn't have a single leaf! I didn't read that they would be coming dormant... Hopefully, that's all it is. Ugh, wish I lived somewhere where there were figs for sale in stores other than the tractor supply hardy chicago. the only time I ever saw another fig for sale was the home depot where my neighbors go. They had patio ones, and my neighbors bought a few. Haven't seen them listed on the website in a year...... So here I am buying garbage off google ads hoping it's good stuff LOL.

• bluemoonlight
    2 years ago

Are you from States GardenTeenager ?

• bluemoonlight
    2 years ago

Give this dormant fig treelets at last 100 days to sleep.

You need to be careful who you buying from.

If you are in US there is a safe place to buy from name of the web site is figbid.com

Are you in worm or cold climate ?

• GardeningTeenager
    2 years ago

I will check if i am within their shipping domain, and if so I will have to try that! I am in the cold climate of 6a. I hate the cold.

• GardeningTeenager
    2 years ago

my cat toppled my fig tree, and I was so angry, the poor little tree was almost broken, thankfully it was tiny and could bend without breaking, my head wanted to explode i was so angry! it was my relatively new transplant that was just settling in and beginning to grow a little!