Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaglpus

Fig Hill Fig Slope with pictures

Last week, cold weather hit the East coast. It was the same cold front that hit Jose's fig orchard. Well, I had some fresh cuttings that were in the shade on my deck. The night before the front hit, I placed all my new cuttings inside my greenhouse. Well, I'm glad I placed them inside because temperatures outside got down to 35 degrees. But I kept my greenhouse at 50 and they survived. Here is a picture of some of the survivors. Starting with the shelf on the right. The cuttings on the top are mostly Sal's fig. Those on the middle right shelf are all Parasido. Those on the bottom right are all White Gem. Those on the Left Shelf top are Golden Celeste, Black Mission, Chico, and Flanders. Those on the left middle shelf are Flanders, Marva Silka, Tx Everbearing H2, Atreano, Susser Georg. Those on the bottom are all Susser Georg.

{{gwi:780633}}

Those on the top shelf gets most sun and are the oldest and have more leaves than others. However, I rotate them up and down so they don't get too much sun.

Here are 2 unknown 2 year old fig trees. They were small last year but grew fine. I thought this one was a Brunswick. Take a look. I am not sure what fig this is. I think its a Ronde de Bourdeaxu. It is a very fast growing fig and now had many little figlets. What do you think?

{{gwi:780635}}

This one is my other unknown fig. This one was labeled Brown Turkey from Lowe's but its not. The leaves are different and this fig grows faster than my other brown turkey trees. It has little figs too. What do you think?

{{gwi:780636}}

This is my fig row also known as the Fig Wall.

{{gwi:780637}}

Soon I'm going to need a place to put many of my fig trees. I started putting 2 foot by 2 foot pavers down and did not finish. Now that my son is home from college, we have work to do! Here are a few more in front of the greenhouse.

{{gwi:780638}}

Most people have a fig orchard; well I have a fig slope! This is my fig slope. It has Marseilles VS Black, Black Jack, and a few others. I gave them a MG fertilizer spike and they are all doing well.

{{gwi:780639}}

This is my fig hill. I told my wife last year that I was going to place fig trees all over this hill. She said no until she tasted my one and only MIssion fig I got from these trees. I thought these 3 Black Mission fig trees were dead because I did not winter protect them. But after I gave them a fruit fertilizer stick and a rubber mulch mat they started growing back. Here they are 1, 2 and 3.

Black Mission 1

{{gwi:777513}}

Black Mission 2

{{gwi:777516}}

Black Mission 3

{{gwi:777517}}

This year I will protect them. Thanks, Dennis

Comments (9)

• dieseler
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Dennis,
    thanks so much for sharing those picture i enjoy them a great deal.
    I really like how you have plants arranged in greenhouse and have seen pictures of the structure you have posted before its very nice looking.
    I think you fig row and fig hill is terrific and you have a nice assortment of fig plants.
    Here for you to compare the leaf is a Ronde De Bordeaux in its first season unfortunately it did not make it through dormancy but i replaced it with another that Ronde De Bodeaux and will be same size later this season as my other last year.
    I show 3 pictures of when plant for leaf shape as it changes to give you idea.
    This plant young in July last season
    {{gwi:780642}}
    Same plant 2 months later leaf gets more defined
    {{gwi:780644}}
    Close up of the leaf on the Ronde pictured from above, grant it the tree was in first season but this was the leaf that was very dominant at the time picture was taken and is much more defined than the leaves in very first picture.
    {{gwi:780646}}
    Hope this helps you somewhat .
    Martin

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Very nice pictures Martin. Your trees are very dark green. Based on your pictures, I think one of my unknown fig is a Ronde de Bourdeaux. I had 2 of these and I planted one in the ground 2 months ago and can not locate my other one and I think I found it! What do you use for fertilizer? My inground trees have fertilizer spikess and they are so green like yours. I think I'm going to use more of these. Thanks Martin! Cheers! Dennis

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Dennis i use plain ole Miracle grow mixed with water at half strength weekly been useing it on flowers and my fig plants for very long time.

Another type of miracle grow i use just for my evergreens is miracid.

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Dennis, WOW comes to mind very nice, looks like you have had great propagation success, I also like that fig row wall. Looks like you and the wife will be eating may different type figs this season. Thanks for posting and keep us updated
    Sal

• rafed
    13 years ago

Dennis,
    Very nice pics indeed and a job well done.
    Most of all, It further confirms to my family I'm not wacko ( at least not alone ).

Rafed

• Evangelos
    12 years ago

Hey Dennis,

As mentioned, it looks like you've done really well with propagation!

Can I ask how/what methods you use for propagating??

Thanks for your time!

Evan

• frozenjoe
    12 years ago

Dennis,

Impressive collection. Those are a lot of containers! In a year or two you'll have more figs than you'll know what to do with!

Joe

• fredfig
    12 years ago

Dennis... I know the word envy carries a bad connotation.
    so, let me use ADMIRATION as my feeling!! Fredfig

• rchukka
    12 years ago

FIG TRAIN @ Figrow.jpg