Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian everbearing fig

Posted by plant54 (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 21:29

I ate my first fig from this tree. It had a strawberry fig taste is this correct? I bought the tree a year ago form an internet web site.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian everbearing fig

How big was the tree when you bought it? Do you remember the site where you bought it? Growing in pots or ground?

o

I purchased this Italian Everbearing fig from a small nursery in Mesa, Arizona about 9 years ago. The tag said that it originated from the L.E. Cooke Nursery. Willis Nursery carries an Italian Everbearing fig but I've yet to see any posted pics to compare. I personally like solid figs but this one has a nice flavor. The only drawback is an open eye and tendency to sour.
Italian Everbearing
Italian Everbearing
Italian Everbearing

o

wow, these look good! I just got a Latturula (Italian Honey Fig) from Rolling Hill Nursery. Do you know if this is similar to what you have? Is yours planted outdoor permanently?

o

jollyrd, I agree! Those look good, and I like that they taste like strawberry? My first baby figs on my Italian Honey have ribs and look like they will be dark in color because the green is changing to a pale dusty greenish purple. I'm looking forward to the first taste, but I will probably have to wait a few months. Not sure how long it takes from 1" long to 2 or 3" long, and then ripe.
Suzi

o

Hi Leon, those do look great. I have a nice sized IE from Willis that is loaded this year so I'll have some to compare. I know the souring is going to be a problem here unless it turns out to be dry. I'll post pictures when them time comes. Tim

o

leon those figs are HUGH. I got mine from Willis nursery along with a Peters Honey. The Peters havent produced anything yet this year, but both trees are beautiful. Ive had these 4' trees for 1 year growing in containers.

The Italian everbearing has about 15 figs and is no way near the size of yours, not even the ripe ones. Mine also does not have the open eye like your above photo.

Im interested in what you use as fertilizers. I want that size :) Thanks for the posting and photo.

o

Thank you for your comments. I'm not sure what the Willis fig is. Please keep us posted on the taste and description of that fig.
As previously mentioned, my IE came from the L.E. Cooke Nursery (see link).
Lattarula (Italian Honey Fig) is a green fig, not purple.
My IE is in the ground. I don't use any special fertilizer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Everbearing Fig

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here